Sunday, June 28, 2020

Disciple and Discipline


I picked up this book years ago during a sale at Deseret Books.  Neal A. Maxwell was a favorite of my mom's and also of mine and I thought it would be interesting to read about his life.

I am a big fan of biographies and autobiographies.  There is much to learn and to appreciate when you look at someone's life in that way.  I have read biographies of all of the latter-day prophets.  I have read books about many of the founding fathers, about famous scientists, artists, and writers.  I have read books about people with schizophrenia or other mental health concerns and the list goes on.  Seeing a tiny piece of someone else's life enhances my understanding and appreciation of others, of history, and also of my own life.  I love it!

And yet, this book for some reason sat on my shelf unread for YEARS!!  Finally last week I picked it up and began to read.  While I didn't feel it was the best written biography I ever read, (apologizes to Bruce Hafen), it was so great to read about this man and how his life unfolded in such an amazing way.  You can see in his life the example of that new favorite scripture of mine- 
". A man's heart deviseth his way: but the Lord directeth his steps"
Neal Maxwell had some plans for his life, but he allowed the Lord to direct his steps and the results were amazing.  I understand that because that is how the Lord has worked in my life.

It was interesting to read about his life as I discovered ways that my life impacted by his that I didn't realize before.  As a BYU student, my first religion class was taught by a non-religion professor.  His name was Bro. Parsons and I can't remember what he normally taught--something in business maybe.  That Book of Mormon class  impacted me for several reasons but one was his teachings of the concept of truth and its place in our lives.  I didn't know that was a new process at BYU under the direction of Elder Maxwell who was serving as the commissioner of Education for the Church then.  He believed that all teachers at Church universities should feel as comfortable with religion as with their area of emphasis. He was the one who support Dallin H. Oaks as president of BYU who was a great example of religious and secular scholarship. 

As I have mentioned over the past few years, I have been pondering the concept of discipline and its relationship to "disciple."  I think that it is why it is now that I picked up this book to read. I was ready to learn more concretely some of these lessons which were illustrated in this telling about his life. Neal A. Maxwell was one who was disciplined in his approach to discipleship.  He understood that we must intentionally make choices that lead us towards Christ and our Heavenly Father.  As we draw closer to them, we can begin the process of becoming more like them.  Our life experiences allow us ample opportunities to learn discipline and to become like Christ but we must fully engage in that work for it to happen.  I think that I have been casual in many ways and accepted that I was "good enough," when there is still so much room to move forward, to improve, and to become a better disciple of Christ.  Discipline is an important part of my role in improving my personal discipleship.

Some of my favorite quotes---because Elder Maxwell knows how to put together a good quote:

“Patience is tied very closely to faith in our Heavenly Father. Actually, when we are unduly impatient, we are suggesting that we know what is best—better than does God. Or, at least, we are asserting that our timetable is better than His. We can grow in faith only if we are willing to wait patiently for God's purposes and patterns to unfold in our lives, on His timetable.” 
“God does not begin by asking us about our ability, but only about our availability, and if we then prove our dependability, he will increase our capability.”

“Each of us is an innkeeper who decides if there is room for Jesus!”

“I testify that He is utterly incomparable in what He is, what He knows, what He has accomplished and what He has experienced. Yet, movingly, He calls us His Friends”

“If we are serious about our discipleship, Jesus will eventually request each of us to do those very things which are most difficult for us to do.”

“The submission of one's will is really the only uniquely personal thing we have to place on God's altar. The many other things we 'give' are actually the things He has already given or loaned to us.”

The last quote is one of the ones I have  "carried around in my head" since years ago when he first said it.  How true it is that everything we have is from God and Jesus!  Even the air we breath.  My use of my will--making choices---is the only thing I have to offer to God for all that he has done for me....and even then the ledger is never even because the exercise of will (as the Book of Mormon prophets pointed out) leads to more blessings from God.

May I use that will even more precisely in the ways that God wants me, too!

Loved the time I spent reading about Neal A. Maxwell's life and grateful for his experiences which shed light on some of my own.

Who do you like to read about?  I am always looking for a good biography.

No comments: