Wednesday, July 8, 2020

I Had A Plan

A few months ago, Gary asked me what I wanted for my BIG "65" birthday coming up in July.  He said that one of my children who remained unidentified was asking him and he didn't have any ideas.  I said that I wanted to surprise Tosha for her 30th birthday by going to Tacoma.  That wasn't a helpful answer for Gary at the time as the unidentified child wasn't likely looking to spend that kind of money on a gift, but the idea was "born" and I started thinking about what I would want to do for a trip like that.

And if you know me, a plan was created.  I decided that I would drive so that I could spend some time in Richland, Washington, where I grew up.  Spending a day alone there exploring the familiar places of my childhood seemed like a perfect way to start my 65th year.  I reached out to a friend to  meet for lunch and contacted another friend about visiting her parents who were dear friends of my parents.  I booked the hotels, took off work, made arrangements with Tosha's husband, to come and get me on base, and even had him check to make sure there would be no restrictions in my coming on base from Utah.  Everything was good to go!!

And then the Covid-19 numbers began climbing in most of the western United States including Utah and Washington and Idaho and Oregon which I would be traveling through.  In checking with Austen the week before, both of us had some hesitation about the recent increases and if the base would still allow me to enter with the surging numbers.  States were not "green."  At that time, his commander was more uncertain and said things were in flux but "it should be okay."  That was a long way to drive to not be sure about getting on the base.

So after all of the planning, on Friday, June 26th just two days before I was going to leave, Gary, Austen, and I decided that I shouldn't make the drive up there.  I had had a cold that week so I was also not feeling great which made the decision fairly easy to make.

So I cancelled my plan and my reservations (which also included Gary meeting up in Twin Falls on my return trip for a little get-away and hike to a waterfall.)

An example of life happening in spite of our plans.....I actually felt a little like an adult making a wise decision.


No comments: