Sunday, June 7, 2020

FRIENDS

I have been so blessed with good friends during my whole life.  I was lucky because my mom always had friends and I knew that they were important in her life.  Many women struggle in relationships with women and complain about the drama of it all.  That has not been my experience.  My life has been so enhanced by knowing and building relationships with great women.

So Sunday of last week when Katie Hillam sent a message that she was going to be in town and did anyone want to have a social distancing lunch, I was thrilled.  Katie is a friend from Hong Kong and she and Brad and Gary and I have shared many amazing experiences as couples--playing games, traveling, and just being together.  We also share the bond of both having children with Down syndrome.  Michael was born while we all lived in Hong Kong and he was one of the only people I knew with DS before we adopted Jena.  He is about 4 years older than Jena, I think.

Sandy Lai offered her beautiful patio off their small pond in Mapleton--Eileen Bradford and Lily Lui also made time to join us.  Lily did not live in Hong Kong when we did, but we have met over the years at many of the Hong Kong get-togethers. We brought our own lunches and had a wonderful time talking about life--lots of laughing.  It felt so great to be outside with actual friends, rather than virtually or by text.  How I love these women.  They each have taught me and continue to teach me important lessons on how to love, how to serve, how to endure, and how to be great women of God.

We socially distanced all through lunch, but we didn't want to miss a chance for a photo, so without a waiter to take it, we had to gather close for a selfie.



Used the timer on Lily's phone for this one.
And then, if that wasn't amazing enough--Eileen and I took a ride up the Alpine Loop in her red convertible--This was something we had talked about for a long time and it turned out to be a wonderful time to do it.  Once off the main highway in Provo Canyon the temperature dropped and it was perfect for riding through the forest.  I didn't take any photos, because truly I was just enjoying the whole "wind through my hair, great conversation, and the beauty of the place" experience.  Thanks, Eileen.  It was perfect.
Alpine Loop Scenic Byway, Utah - Road Pickle
A stock photo from the internet, but it looked like this in parts
And we even saw a deer!!!

No comments: