Sunday, June 14, 2020

Steps

As part of missionary preparation, I have actively been working on moving towards 10,000 steps a day on 4-5 days a week.  This week I made a big step forward by walking an hour in the morning all week (except for Sunday).  It has been a slow process but I am making progress.  Since hurting my back last summer, anything more than 6000 steps a day was a problem, but now I can do around 8000 without pain.  Beyond that, well, ice is my back's best friend.  (The joys of getting older.)

But it isn't all about the steps that I can get in on my morning walk, it is mindfully and peacefully enjoying being outside--the sights, the songs, the joy of being in nature--and taking a break from thinking about my "to-do list" or my clients and other work-related demands.  It is a time to think about "nothing," think about nature, " and most of all, be present in the moment.  It is great and I highly recommend it to everyone.

One morning I stopped and watched the worm tug and tug on a worm to get it out of the grass.


Although I normally walk at Jensen Pond, on Friday, I headed out to the nearby Bird Refugee.  It had been closed during the first part of the pandemic but recently opened.

Although it is only about a mile south and about a mile east of Jensen Pond, it feels more isolated.  There were very few people there and the variety of bird calls I heard was amazing.  Unfortunately, I can't identify many birds by their sounds.


Trail into the preserve, although once you get inside, the trail is all boardwalk over the marshes below.
View of the Wasatch mountains to the east.
Cat-tails remind me of growing up as they were plentiful in ponds near our home in Richland, Washington.

Back to Jensen Pond on Saturday and loved watching this trio of ducks marching around like they own the place.

One other "highlight" or maybe "low-light" of walking this week happened on Thursday when I stepped into a hole (while crossing a small field to get the trail from the parking lot.) and FELL FLAT on the ground.  Luckily my foot pulled completely out of my shoe which remained stuck in the hole, so I didn't twist my foot.  So other than a scrape on my shin and sore muscles, I didn't get hurt.  The weeds and wildflowers were about 18 inches high and provided a "soft" landing.

When I was telling Gary about it, he asked if anyone came to help me.  "No, thank heavens.  Then I would have been more embarrassed."  I don't know if anyone did see me, but I am glad that I was able to recover myself!  Nothing like a klutzy moment to keep you humble!

But walking is great!!!!!


No comments: