Sunday, May 1, 2022

Third Friend Found!

And actually it is technically third and fourth friends found--Cathie and Wayne Olmstead who were my dorm parents at BYU my sophomore year.  Wayne had served a mission in Hong Kong so when Gary got his mission call, we spent some time at their apartment seeing his old pictures and hearing about his mission.  They had a baby that year-- a little boy they named Jacob and called him Jake.  We all loved that little boy.

We have  connected with them over the years. They came to Hong Kong for three days and stayed with us.  We visited with them when they lived in Utah.  And she reminded me that when they took a job in Portland, Oregon, I connected them with my aunt and uncle who helped them find a doctor as she was just a few weeks from having their third son at the time.

We had lost track of them over the years since then, however....

Until a Jake Olmstead had an article in the weekly newsletter we get from the Church History Library.  I sent him an email to see if he was connected to Cathie and Wayne and he WAS! Their oldest son.  (I am sure he loved it that I reminded him that our dorm all loved him as a baby.)  Anyway, he forwarded an email from me to his parents, she responded and we wrote back and forth sharing memories, etc.  We are hoping to meet soon to enjoy Chinese food at their favorite restaurant in American Fork.  They are living in Utah county now.  Small world!!!

Jake is an curator/historian at the Church History Library in the historic places area.

No comments: