Sunday, September 6, 2020

"Saying Goodbye....

..... is hard to do."  I think that is from a pop song, but applies to most goodbyes.  I have spent the last month saying goodbye to clients as I finished my work at Family Services.  That is hard.  I admire my clients and the struggles they face in their lives and the strength that they have to meet the daily demands of life.

My office has been my downstairs desk since March when Covid restrictions began in the US.  Some of my clients I never met in person, which is still weird to think about.  I had scheduled the last appointments with my remaining 14 clients over the middle two weeks of August, saving the last week for file work and also back-up in case someone had to miss their appointment.  (That happened at The Children's Center so I was planning ahead.) Fortunately, all of them made their last appointments so I only had an exit interview with my boss and about 8 hours of work to finish transferring a few of my clients, terminating the others, and completed all of the needed file and other paperwork.

And Tuesday, August 26th was that day.

It was weird to get dressed up (because I have been wearing nice shirts with yoga pants and fuzzy socks for work since March) and actually drive to the office.  I worked at this office as an adoption and birth parent worker and then as a therapist.  There are SO many memories of people, situations, heartache, and learning that I have experienced or been part of as a observer. My co-workers have had such an impact on me as a therapist and more importantly as a person.  I was not prepared for the rush of memories as I drove into the parking lot for the "last time" as an employee of Family Services. And I had to wipe away tears before I even entered the building for my exit interview and to gather my things from my office.

My office as a therapist---

Inside office selfie, complete with 2020 masks.

Layton Office---


Again, so many memories--I sent the following message with the above photo to my Family Services buddies from the past--Dennis Ashton, James Wadman, Robin WIlliams, Lisa Johnson, Monica Hall, Julie Hansen, and Amber Falk:
Hi, my former Family Services friends--I thought about you all yesterday as I had my exit interview with Dave at the Layton office. Even driving into the parking lot for our meeting, I got tearful and so so many memories flood my mind of all of you and your impact on my life--as a social worker and more importantly as a person. Thank you thank you so much for all you have done for me. My adult life has been intertwined with Family Services in so many ways--from our first adoption orientation meeting in 1980 until leaving the agency yesterday as a part-time counselor. It was not the journey I expected but it was been amazing because of people like you and the awesome clients I have been privileged to be involved with. Dave has invited me to "come back" after our mission as long as I will commit a year. That was a kind gesture but my first impulse was that I am really done, but then I thought about my life and I realize that I have no idea what God has in store for me so we will wait to see what unfolds. For now, we are busy getting ready for our mission. Thanks again for everything. Love you all!

We exchanged sweet messages with each other and it was nice to share this moment of goodbye with them who all have retired or left the agency except for Amber Falk and James Wadman.  No goodbye dinners with Dave's curry chicken during Covid!

And then after a few more hours of work on the computer, I am done.

Now it is "full steam ahead," preparing for our mission!

No comments: