Sunday, September 6, 2020

Basement Remodel

 I stopped working and began "working" on the basement.  Gary has literally done everything in repairing and getting the basement into shape after our flood last year.  He has learned how to do things by watching YouTube videos and then does a great job.

I actually thought he was crazy to do such a big job mostly himself.  Of course, it saved us a ton of money, but money isn't everything, as they say. It has been a big project and he has made so many trips to Home Depot.

However, as I began painting the bathroom in prep for the new counter top, I "caught" a bit of the benefit of doing it ourselves.  I painted the bathroom and two closets on one day--a very long day.  But it was a good day--listening to music on Alexa while only painting--not trying to wonder about my next day of therapy or anything else--just painting and letting my mind enjoy the music and just wander!  And when I was done, it wasn't perfect, but I felt proud of the work and a sense of helping and improving our home. It became a visual representation of Gary and I working together to finish this project. I would not have had those feelings if I had only written a check for someone else to do it.  I hope Gary feels that pride as well, because he has invested so much in getting it done.

Painting and preparing for new flooring required lots of moving of boxes from one room to another...and many trips to the dump as well over the past several months.




On August 31, we got new flooring in the bathroom and the workroom (which is the new exercise/sewing/family history room) and the next day new carpet in the other areas of the basement and a new counter top.  Although there is still several details to finish up and some unpacking to do before we host our first guests this coming Wednesday, it is exciting to be at this point and see the end of this project (before we move to the next area of to-dos!)


The "Workroom"--
Bathroom with new floor and counter tops.  I mentioned to the friend we ordered our carpet from that we needed good flooring because we are NEVER changing it again!  This basement will outlive both Gary and I.  She laughed and said people tell her that all of the time and then come back for new carpet 10 years later because they want a change.  I am fairly confident that won't happen with Gary and I unless we decided to move to another house.  We will see who is right.
I love the square under-mounted sinks---
The new guest room.....

As things get finished and things put back together, I will post more pictures.  This will be how our grandkids will remember our house as they grow up.  I can't wait to finish the "grandchild guest room"!

Thanks, Gary, for all of your hard work....and for letting me help and feel pride in a job well done.



No comments: