Sunday, May 31, 2015

Liam's quilt

Third grandchild and I got his quilt done a day AFTER his due date.  Luckily he was considerate of my goal to complete the quilts before the grandchild arrived and still hasn't come yet.  I finished the top last weekend but when I dropped it off at the quilter, she told me it might be 1-2 weeks before she completed it as she had several before this one.  The next day I got a phone call that it was done.  She had finished a big quilt and realized that the setting pattern was perfect for this quilt so she put it on and finished it in an afternoon.  I was so excited to pick it up and finish it off.  It is called "Baby Bricks" and I used fabrics which relate to boys.  I included the red polka dot material which has been on all three of the grandchildren's quilts plus a couple of the "boy prints" from Niki's quilt as well.  Jessica likes orange so I wanted to have some orange in there too.
 
I love it and Jessica and Elessia assure me that they love it too.
 
I stood on a chair to try to get the whole quilt without success but
you get the general idea.
Close up of the "Boy Baby Bricks".
There are sharks, race car, airplanes, rockets, sports stuff, Legos, ocean,
hearts and crayons plus several solids and prints to blend things.
With the back
So I have informed Liam he can now be born...................(although for the record, I have predicted June 6th for his birthday.)

My kids are all talking about having their second children sometime in 2017.  I will still be in graduate school so that might be a challenge to get three quilts done but fortunately babies are very forgiving and I will also have several months warning. 

I still don't like to sew but there is something about making quilts which I love.  For some reason it makes me feel a closeness with my mom and it feels almost like I am doing something for these sweet grandchildren in her behalf.  My mom didn't make quilts for the grandkids on a regular basis although she did make one for Tosha and I know Lisa said that they made one together when Lisa was 12.  However she did like to quilt and I love the quilt that she made for me when I was a freshman at BYU.

Who sews circles---that is crazy!

She made it out of fabrics she had, many which were from clothes she had made me as I grew.  It was on my bed for all my BYU years and in our guest room for years after that.  The material is worn in many places and now it sits on a shelf in my bedroom where I see it every day.  Now, of course, I wish that I had kept it perfect and not used it, but some of its value is the using of it for all of those years.  When I came home from a hard day of school or I was sick or homesick, it was there to remind me of my mom, my home and family.  It still does that today.  (And for the record, Jessica has spoken for this quilt after Dad and I die.)

So sweet Liam, I hope that you love your baby bricks quilt....and we will teach you that it represents the love of your Grandma Hall and also your Great-Grandma Giberson and all of the grandmothers before her.  (And I am excited that you will also have the name Michael as that was one of Grandma Giberson's most favorite boy's names ever! No offense to her other sons--Todd, Rick, and Scott.  Michael was just the name that she liked for a very long time before she had sons.)

Now we are just waiting...........

2 comments:

Gemie said...

It is beautiful Judy. I am sure Liam will love it!!!

Robynn said...

I LOVE Liam's Quilt and you are a remarkable quilt builder. Well done my dear friend. What a fun quilting gal you have too. She did a super job. Can't wait to hear when Liam is here wrapped in his Grandma's love. SLY Rob