Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Heading to Oklahoma City......

Tosha and Austen had invited me to come and be with them when the baby was born.  Tosha really wanted me to come a few days before his birth so that we could talk, clean, and do the things that mothers and daughters can do as they wait for a new arrival.  I was very excited to do that but continually reminded them that we can't always work things out that way as the arrivals of babies is very uncontrolled by us.  Finally I settled on some dates, we made plans for Jessica and Jena to come out for a few days at the end of my stay and I began the process of preparing to leave for 2+ weeks from my life here.  That is a big task.

We were preparing to launch our big fundraiser drive for the year for UDSF that weekend (because of delays on our provider's end).  That was a big problem as that meant I who knew the most about our new system would be on the road when everyone started to sign up.  Luckily I got some great support from Sharae Chisholm on our board and she learned the system to cover me while that all happened.

One great piece of news after months of planning, advertising, and interviewing, we have hired a part time director for UDSF.  His name is Steve Hansen. He had retired from non-profit management but decided he missed it so was watching the non-profit job  board for options and interviewed with us.  We actually had several good applicants and some outstanding ones which was so great.  I spent the day before I left with him trying to orient him so that he could do some work while I was gone.  It has been awesome to have him around for sure and I know he will do great things for the foundation and help take a big burden off my shoulders as well.

I cleaned the house (somewhat), bought some groceries, made lists, left piles of notes and clip boards for Gary to help with the ward activity I was in charge of this month, and left other stuff undone (the story of my life).  Gary had to do Jena's hair and she told me he was getting much better at it (and we had 8 inches trimmed off the bottom before I left), take her to the Special Olympics State Golf tournament (she got a silver in her division), get her to work, and hang out with Ben.  Ben was in charge of cooking and cleaning.

I had originally intended to leave on Sunday after Church so that I could attend the Ward Council and review assignments and plans for the Ward BBQ and Water Fun Night on August 23.  However I kept getting a feeling I should leave on Saturday but not for any clear reason.  I mentioned it to Gary early in the week and he began encouraging me to leave on Saturday.  That really seemed impossible but somehow at 3:00 p.m. I headed off on I-84 toward Wyoming for the first part of my 18 hour trip.

Now I love to drive and have made a number of trips without Gary over the years we have been married.  However lately I have at least had Jena to travel with me on these longer drives and I have to admit, I was a bit nervous on how it would go--18 hours by myself of driving.  Having a cell phone makes it feel a bit safer of course but still I wasn't sure how my "older self" would do.

It turned out to be GREAT.  The first three hours I spent mostly in peaceful quiet.  It was amazing!  I just thought about things and family and memories.  As I drove I could physically feel the weight of things lifted from me as I began to focus forward on being with Tosha and Austen.  Gary and I had made a number of trips along this road so I thought of those adventures as well.  I stopped only for gas and to eat food that I had packed for the journey.  I played music and sang old songs from Neil Diamond, the Beach Boys and Barry Manilow (Gary was very glad not to be there for that!).

Gary and I talked along the way and he booked an hotel in eastern Denver to make sure that I would stop for the night before it got too late.  (This is his new service--booking a hotel for me when I travel.  It is very nice but it keeps me from driving much past 11 pm). I spent the night in Denver and made the rest of the trip on Sunday.  I listened to Church music most of that trip and enjoyed the scenery.  The only thing which could have made it more perfect would have been to travel with Gary in person.

I arrived safely at Tosha's and Austen's in early evening just in time for a nice meal that Tosha had made.  I made it before the baby did.  Success.....

Since I arrived a day early, I assumed that it was because the baby was coming early, right?  After all I had a lot to do back in Utah but had felt prompted to come early.  There must have been a reason....
Well, not to ruin a good story but the reason was not because he was coming early as he actually didn't arrive until 4 days after his August 12 due date.  So if there is a reason, I don't know what it was.  It happens like that sometimes.  Impressions come and we don't know why or if they really matter.  Maybe I missed a car crash by my early departure or maybe Tosha and I talked about something that first night that was important.  I will likely never know but I do know that when I follow those promptings, I don't regret it.  Nor did I this time.  It was great to be with Tosha and Austen as they were preparing for their little arrival.

So the wait began in earnest........................................

No comments: