Sunday, August 31, 2014

A week with some firsts........

Jena is now a senior----and she is thrilled.  As we walked up to the door of school, many of the class officers were standing there and called out hi to her and welcome to school, etc.  We know several of them and so we chatted a second and I commented that no one was probably as happy to start school as Jena.  They all agreed.  Jena is one happy Clearfield High Falcon.

First day of 12th grade
My first on Monday was the first time I "babysat" Scarlett.  I called Chantel earlier and asked if she needed to do anything that day and she offered to go to the gym so that I could come and be with Scarlett.  Scarlett was asleep when I arrived but Chantel said she would wake up in an hour.  Nope, she slept through the whole time and in fact didn't wake up until an hour after I left as well.  I got a cute video from Chantel that she took of Scarlett waking up.  I did get to watch her on their baby monitor and hear some cute little noises and I did get some reading done for school so it was okay.  We will have lots of days to spend together.  This was just the first one.

Then on Tuesday, I had my first day of graduate school for my masters in Social Work.  I have class from 5:15 to 10:30 each Tuesday night in Kaysville.  My program is through Utah State.  The program is three years long and will include internships the final two years of about 16-20 hours a week.  I guess I am really doing this.
Off to school
Wednesday we attended the Open House for the rebuilt Ogden temple with a family from our neighborhood.  It was fun to share that experience with someone who had never been inside a temple before.  I had been there before when I cleaned but it was also Gary's and Jena's first time inside.  We took a few pictures before our friends arrived on the east front of the temple.


Heading to the temple




Gary is trying to hid in this picture!
Silly Dad!

Although I have grown to love the Bountiful Temple and feel like it is home, it will be nice to have the Ogden Temple back and busy again.  It will relieve a lot of the pressure on the Bountiful and Brigham City Temples and maybe no one or two session waits in the chapel.  The two temples are actually almost the same distance from our house travelwise.

For comparison here are two pictures we took shortly before they began taking down the old Ogden Temple:

Jena in March 2011

The Ogden Temple in March 2011
I think I caught up with a bit of housework during the week but it was quite hit and miss as there was so much to do after being gone most of August.  And our garage is still filled on one half with items drying from the party over a week ago.  Perhaps I will get to that tomorrow but I have to finish my homework first.

Jena had another first on Friday as she served as a model for Julia Crist who is doing her senior project on Down syndrome for her fine arts degree in photography.  She came and took pictures of Jena for about an hour as Jena showed her things that she likes to do.  Jena also has to write a one sheet essay about herself which will be posted by her picture when the whole display is hung at BYU-I.

It is probably not the first time ever--but on Friday BYU did win their opening game of the season.

And finally, our first Hall dinner with Scarlett on Saturday--It was a simple get together--pizza and salad, conversation, and a round of Telestrations (for everyone but Scott who took baby duty).  Mostly it was getting your turn to hold Scarlett or watching whoever was holding Scarlett.  We really missed Tosha, Austen and Niki but I know we need to continue to get together even without them.  How great it will be when they all will be here together.  We can't wait for Scarlett and Niki to meet each other in person.

 
And it is Sunday again--my favorite day.
I subbed in Gospel Doctrine--Jonah and the Big Fish lesson
Had home teachers over
Caught up with the Blog most of the day!
Went on a short walk and visited with friends and family!
 
And now I am heading to bed!
 
Busy week ahead--filled with the usual things and also a very fun and exciting trip to......
 
Austin, Texas
for two big football games
(my nephew's high school game on Friday night and that other game on Saturday night)
and fun with three of my brothers, my dad and Karla, and my sister Valerie and her husband!
There will be lots of game playing in between those two big games.
 
Have I mentioned that life is so good and sweet!
 


No comments: