Friday, August 31, 2012

Working on #10

I was sitting and reading a magazine at a doctor's appointment and read an article about six of the greatest bridges in the US.  Immediately I thought I want to see those bridges.  One was the famous San Francisco Bay Bridge.  The others were unknown to me but I added it to my "Just for Fun Mortal" goals.

San Francisco Bay Bridge was probably why I like bridges (as well as the Umatilla Bridge on the way to my grandmother's house).  It is a beautiful bridge.

It happened that another bridge on the list was in Twin Falls, Idaho, on the route heading to Washington.  We decided to take some time and see it along the way.  Here it is:

 
The Perrine Bridge
 
Map at the visitor's center

The Perrine Bridge
At the time it was built it was the highest bridge spanning a gorge.
I think it was 1500 feet above the river.
It was been rebuilt once since then.
I think it was first built in 1927.
It is a beautiful bridge.

You can actually walk under the bridge,
so we did.
Small things make us happy!

The Snake river to the east

Jena and I on the bridge
while Gary drove the RV across


Jena walking the bridge--
happy girl

Shadow of the bridge on the Snake River

A hole in the golf course to the west

View from the southwest visitor center

Jena posing with Mr. Perrine--who was remembered in
the name of the bridge.  He was settler in the area.

Just shortly to the west was the spot where
Evil Knievel tried to jump the gorge.
He was unsuccessful but there is still a marker for him.

To the west, there are two golf courses around Snake River.
 
Four more bridges to go to complete this bucket list item is completed.  Watch for more to follow.

No comments: