Sunday, August 19, 2012

A Cub Scout Moment

Let me say that I love Cub Scouts.  I didn't know that I was going to love Cub Scouts my whole life.  It was a skill I was taught in Plano, Texas 4th ward  (and I had some very good teachers/mentors.) 
Years before when Gary pronounced the "name and blessing" on Scott, he talked about the importance of Scouting in Scott's life and the leaders he would have.  At that time, lots of our friends commented to me that I better get ready to be a den mother.  My mom had been a den leader and so I had always thought that if you had boys you "got" to be a den mother  (Now of course I realize that many moms haven't had that chance.  I feel sorry for you.)  So I didn't worry about it.  I did have a chance to be a den mother for both Scott and Ben and I am so happy about that. I loved it (most days anyway.)  Scott's den mother was my first Scout calling and that begun my adventures and love of Scouting.  This is the background for this Cub Scout moment----

Last Friday we attend the wedding reception for Chris Martin and his soon to be bride Karen.  Martins are friends of ours from Texas which means we have know each other a long time about 20 years to be exact.  Chris is their 7 out of 8 kids and just younger than Ben.  He would have been 9 years old, give or take, when we moved to Utah.  He may have seen us once or twice in the past 15 years but I did not expect him to remember us.  We were attending the Orem open house to see his parents, our dear friends, Gemie and Jerry and to celebrate this happy occasion in their lives.

As we approached Chris and Karen in the receiving line, I reached out my hand and prepared to introduce us to Chris. Immediately when he turned and recognized me, he smiled and reached out to hug me.  Calling me by name, he introduced me to Karen.  I told him that I was surprised he remembered me. He said, "You were my Cub Scout leader, right?"  Right!

And that is why I love Cub Scouts!!!

No comments: