Friday, August 17, 2012

"Empty-nester" practice

Now that our little trial in "empty-nesting" has been concluded, it is now safe to talk about it.  With Ben moving to his new apartment on August 3 and Tosha with friends, Gary and I became empty nesters for a few days when Jena headed off for Girls Camp on August 7th.  We tried not to make a big deal out of it because 1-we wanted to enjoy quiet time together; 2- we didn't want our kids to feel sad that we were happy to be alone (after all we love all of them to pieces and are so glad that they came into our lives starting over 29 years ago) and 3-it is just bad luck to talk too much about stuff like that before it happens.  I am not one who is afraid of being left alone with Gary for the rest of my life.  I actually can't think of anyone else I would rather be with.  :)  We actually will likely never have the traditional "empty nesters" experience anyway so we will grab our moments when they happen.

The Report:

Tuesday--After dropping Jena and some other friends off at Camp Woodland (our stake camp about an hour away, I arrived home to an empty house--very unusual for me since Gary is usually here working even if the kids are off somewhere.  Gary had left for bowling league and I enjoyed 2 hours of quiet in the house.  I then headed to the bowling alley to watch Gary bowl (something I usually can't do because I need to take Jena to and from YW).  Afterwards, he and I bowled a couple of games and headed home............and arrived to two very wet and muddy dogs!!  Some how they had knocked a pool hose off and mud and water were everywhere.  Luckily none had come into the basement nor flooded our neighbors but we spent the next couple of hours cleaning the dogs, the mess in the house, and block off the muddy areas of the yard.  Day 1.

Wednesday--Spent the day rearranging things in the bedrooms downstairs.  I moved all of my scrapbooks and family history stuff into the small bedroom which had been Ben's and made the other bedroom just the guest and exercise room.  My sister in law and her four kids were coming on Friday for the weekend so it was a good motivation to get that done.  I was exhausted by the end of that day but both rooms looked ready for company.

Thursday--I had a day filled with errands and appointments.  That night I helped with a bridal shower.  Gary was busy with work and helping his mom.

Friday--My vacuum didn't work which is always annoying when you are getting ready for company.  I had told Ben that I would take him shopping to get pictures for his apartment.  I was walking out the door to the car when I fell and hurt my foot.....which is how our time together ended.  Gary picked Jena up at 5 p.m. from Girls Camp and immediately when she got home, Gary and I headed off to the doctor's office.

It was one of those weeks where there was so  much on our calendar that it was probably a good thing Jena was at Girls Camp.  Otherwise it would have been very boring for her.  It wasn't the candlelight dinners, I imagined, and I certainly didn't plan to end the week with a broken foot, but it is probably how life will be for us.  With or without kids at home, life is busy.  It is just another of the many changes of life which we all should expect---life is always changeable and filled with family, friends, and adventures.  TO LIFE....broken foot and all.

No comments: