Sunday, August 19, 2012

In case you wanted to know....

we know someone who swam across the English Channel!!  Isn't that amazing  (not that we know him but the fact that he did it.)!!!

He is Gordon Gridley, our of our friends, neighbors, and a Primary teacher.  Here are some of the banners and posters on his house welcoming him (and his wife and  2 oldest children) home from England.

Our Senior Primary poster
Hard to see but there were about 50-60 signatures of kids on it.

Three of the four ward/neighborhood banners hanging on their garage door
One of the people had signed the poster, something to the effect of:

"Bucket list:  Know someone who has swam the English channel--Checked"

That is how I feel.  I never in my life ever dreamed of swimming the English channel or swimming across any significant body of water.  It is great to know someone who has and to be so proud of his accomplishing this huge goal even from the sidelines.  It took a huge effort on his part and his family to have this dream happen for him.  And it was fun to share it in the neighborhood as many of us watched his blog in the days leading up to the swim and then during the swim as his mom and wife sent update.  We actually could see his progress on the swim through GPS updates every 15 minutes.  He made it in 11 hours and 30 minutes.  We learn and are inspired by his achievement.

I didn't want to swim the English Channel but I knew that I would someday see the Great Wall of China, see a water buffalo in person and observe a Buddhist monk in Thailand.  These things have happened and my bucket list (which I have called my "Just for Fun Mortal Goals"--before I even knew the term "bucket list") still has items to do, see, or accomplish.  My last one accomplished was "building a pinewood derby car."---see my goals are less spectacular but no less important to me.  They are targets of fun or goal setting that add an additional purpose beyond just getting through the day or achieving eternal life.  So make a list and get to it.

And if "knowing someone who swam the English Channel" is on your list, I am happy to introduce you to Gordon!!

(His wife, Cathi, has run in the Boston Marathon....in case that turns up on any one's list!!!)

No comments: