Sunday, May 31, 2020

Racism

This has been a difficult moment in time and not because of the pandemic. In Minnesota, a black man was killed by a police officer while the police officers was kneeling on his neck and back during an arrest. This has led to widespread riots and protests and brought racism back into the limelight. Now the reality is that racism is a huge problem and minorities are dealing with it every day of their lives. It is the majority that isn't impacted until it is in the "limelight" again.
Of course, Facebook and other social media platforms were filled with comments and disagreements about the issues. I stayed quiet, because I tried to avoid controversial comments on Facebook for many reasons. Then I was waiting for one of my nephews who is bi-racial to make a comment that I could share. He is very articulate and has written some insightful stuff in the past. It seemed reasonable to share his voice as one who lives this battle daily. As a white woman, what did I have to add to the conversation, even though my feelings about this subject are deep, passionate, and personal.
However, after praying about it, it struck me during my Saturday morning walk, that not only did I have things to say--NOT saying anything was wrong, very wrong! What message do I want my children, nieces and nephews, and my grandchildren to know about this issue from me as someone who loves them?
So I posted this on Facebook and I wanted to post it here as well. It is not meant to change the world, just to share my point of view. We are and will always be first brothers and sisters. We have been for the eternities and will always be! We are unique and different. Those truths can be held together in each of our hearts.
My post:
"If you keep track, I avoid political and most controversial conversations on Facebook. This, however, is not political, and if it is controversial to you, that is between you and your heart. I don't understand why it would be.
As a white mother of children of Chinese and Latino descent and the aunt to children of Black Asian, and Hispanic descent, we are not doing enough to support our brothers and sisters regardless of racial, cultural, religious, and sexual differences. There is always risk to be a minority within any majority population until the majority makes shifts to improve its strategies (translated as love, acceptance, and a willingness to hear another's experience and look at ourselves to do better).
Tiny example: When we moved to a new school, my second grade daughter began experience racism at school. Among other things it led me to have a conversation with the white principal.
Me: explaining incident including the racial slurs used.
Principal: Kids tease each other. Let's not make this a bigger deal than it is.
Me: Kids do tease each other. About wearing glasses or weight (these aren't okay either and can have profound effects). And it is true, they 'grow out of it.' This is racism. In case you haven't noticed, people aren't 'growing out of it.'
Principal: Well, it can't be too big of a problem, because the minority families aren't complaining about it, just you.
Me: (taking a deep breath to avoid yelling at her) They aren't complaining because they have dealt with it their whole lives. I have not and I expect and demand better for my daughter and for their sons and daughters. I am a white woman and I am not afraid of you.
She and I never recovered our relationship as you can imagine, but with some help from the district, the school, teachers and students received some awareness classes. It helped, at least for my daughter that year.
Current events are heartbreaking but it is beyond that one event. That is only a symptom of a nation and world where all are not yet safe. The first change has to be within your own heart and family and then outward. Let's do better, love freely, and really seek to understand the messages from our minorities."
So much more could be said, but the bottom line--we need to do better.

No comments: