Sunday, January 20, 2019

Saturdays

I took Fridays off so that I could get more of my life caught up with.  Rarely have I had Fridays that I could do that which weren't committed to other tasks.  This past Friday was no different as I had a long dentist appointment to start the process of a crown on a back molar with an old filling that had finally failed.  I did the usual errands and worked on my Christmas cards and went to the temple.  It was a great day and allowed the next day--Saturday-- to also be amazing.

Gary and Jena headed to bowling all morning while I finally did some housework (I have been gone for while and there was Christmas before that so there was a lot to do.)  I even was able to get the storage room cleaned and back together after all the Christmas stuff was repacked and put back in their spots.

Then we dressed up and headed for the Hale Theatre for the final show of the 2018 season....because I couldn't imagine seeing "Wizard of Oz" in December.  I think it was always shown in January of every year of my whole childhood!!
They now have a "photo op" wall to take pictures and post on social media
Hard to get a self with three people with varying degrees of commitment
to a successful photo
I had to say that I really was not that excited to see "The Wizard of Oz."  As mentioned it was a yearly movie at our house and by the end of growing up, Todd, Mike and I were not fans, but the younger ones still were.  Growing up in the 1960's and 70's, who did run around the playground saying "lions and tigers and bears, oh, my" for a couple of days after the yearly showing.  (Historical side note:  Back then prior to even VCRs, you didn't have the option of replaying movies at your convenience. So the networks could do that for you. Hence the annual "Wizard of Oz" shows. For my kids, I am sure there were many shows that they watched that many times in a year--when they were in "that phase.")  However, I loved it.  Hale Theatre had amazing sets and special effects which you couldn't even figure out how they could manage on a round stage.  And the costumes were gorgeous.  Lexi Walker, a professional actress, played Dorothy and she was amazing as well. It was so good.

After the show, we left the theatre in Sandy, UT, and headed down to Springville, UT, to attend Aubree and Griffen's reception at the Springville Art Museum.  Aubree has been one of Jena's roommates and mentors in her college program.  And they are very good friends.  It was fun to share the evening with her.

 And the venue was very fun as well.  In addition to the expected art on the walls, they had a fun inside courtyard area with this funky water feature.  That would be fun in your back yard.






Then after leaving the reception, we headed a couple of blocks to a small restaurant called "Art City" which is built from an old trolley car and then expanded outward.  I had met my friend, Sandy Lai, there once for lunch and loved their rosemary garlic french fries.
At my request, Gary is checking a score of a basketball game--BYU of course.
We got home after 10:00, but with Church at noon and the house and Primary lessons ready to go--it was a great Saturday.

Hope you had some great Saturdays filled with getting things done and having fun!

No comments: