Sunday, January 6, 2019

Post-Christmas Celebrations--Washington style

When I was looking at airplane ticket prices it was cheaper to fly out on Christmas day and come back on New Years Day so that is what we did.  It was fun to see Tosha and Austen on Christmas even though Niki and Ava were already asleep.  Of course, Ava wakes up pretty regularly so we saw her with open eyes that night as well.  Cooper was excited and I was happy that he seemed to remember me from my last visit.

Niki was darling in the morning, giving me a big hug and telling me he loved me so much.

We got to open presents with them which included their dinosaur pjs. to match their Utah cousins.

The rest of the week we played, watched movies, talked, and played some more.  It was resting and fun.  We had some rain on a few days, but the weather overall was fairly moderate and better than the snow storms they had in Utah while we were gone.

Our selfie--Niki, Cooper, and I in Niki's room


Got to love fake smiles.......
One day we headed to a Museum in downtown Tacoma where they had a train exhibit.  Great Grandpa Giberson and Grandpa Hall would be very proud how much Niki and Cooper love trains, too.  I didn't know that was genetic...:)




















Outside, we headed part way across this bridge to see the beautiful stain glass windows in the ceiling...



Home again and two cousins in their dinosaur pjs brushing their teeth--just like their cousins in Utah.
Another moment of Aunt Jena with Ava
Saturday night, we headed to a large city park where they had a lights display that you could drive through.  It was difficult to get photos, but it was fun and beautiful.  People are so creative.  We listened to Christmas music on a certain radio station and drove slowly through the park to admire lights everywhere.
This was a fun display--Mt. Rainier and there were trees on the sides and then whales in the ocean to the left.  I loved the clouds which were "raining" overhead.  I have to admit I have never seen clouds and rain in lights before--nor Mt. Rainier and whales.....
or a shark eating a fish.  It was a fun display and it was a good way to end our Chri
Mostly we played and talked....
A photo of wide awake Ava.  Isn't she beautiful!

I spent my last Sunday of 2018 and more importantly the last Sunday of the 3-hour block at the American Lake Ward in Lakewood, Washington.  It is a moment in history that I wanted to note.  There was a meme going around Facebook that said, "I survived the 3 hour Block."  I commented that I consider my mother and those of her generation and before as heroes for getting their children to Church twice on Sundays.  Three hour block seemed much more doable when we started having our children to get ready for Church.  Starting in 2019, Church will now be just 2 hours long.

We didn't do anything special on New Years Eve--watched a movie and had ice cream and pie.  Even headed to bed early.  Somewhat how we usually spend New Years Eve....but it was very weird to not be with Gary.  I didn't think it would really matter, because we don't usually celebrate, but there is something about being with him as a New Year starts that seems right.  I don't think I will plan to not be with him on New Years Eve in the future.

New Years Day came quickly and we had to pack and head for the airport again.  Saying goodbye is never easy and it wasn't this time either.  Hopefully they will be making a trip or two to Utah to this year.

Happy New Year 2019---not sure what is ahead.  In fact, I am feeling like there are some changes ahead for me as a person and maybe our family.  Changes aren't bad, but it can be scary because often it is challenges that lead to those changes for good.  I think I will stick with Joseph Wirthlin's phrase:  "Come What May and Love It."  I look forward to sharing our journeys in 2019 together.

No comments: