Sunday, January 6, 2019

Family Christmas Party--December 23rd

Because I was leaving on Christmas day to head to Seattle to "help" Tosha with her new baby, we gathered together on Sunday night to enjoy dinner and some family fun.

For the first time, we had a "Ugly Christmas Sweater" cookie decorating contest and it was so much fun that we are going to do it again next year.  I baked the cookies ahead of time and gathered a bunch of stuff for decorating.  We then each decorated one cookie.  I took pictures and we sent them by text to Tosha and Austen and my siblings to "vote" for the winner.  Here are the cookies:
I stole this idea from a friend and she let me borrow her cookie cutter.
Afterwards Elessia got me two from Michael's so we can have one and Tosha can have one to join in.
Everyone is hard at work.

Scarlett's:

Chantel:
Gary wanted to enter the "naked sweater" but we insisted he had to decorate it in some way.
James really got into decorating (and licking) his cookie.
Scott:  He tied for the "ugly" winner.
 Jena:
 Ben:
 Zander:
 Liam:
 Jessica's:
Elessia:  the other one that tied as a winner.  Our judges were debating if they were suppose to vote for the "ugly" one or the ugly cute one".  We will have to set some clear categories next year.
I can't remember who did this one, but it was their second cookie so it didn't enter the contest.
Gary:  "Living on the Edge" Christmas sweater
We loved reading the comments from our judges during the evening and it was a fun way to feel connected to those we love who are far away at Christmas time.

We ate dinner-- BBQ ribs, baked potatoes, coleslaw, etc. No dessert was needed after decorating cookies.  We opened pjs but no good photos as cousins were into play mode by then. 

James and Zander with the blocks.


Zander was so tired but wanted to play with his new truck from his cousins.
I love this photo of James reaching to push the button on this little tree that makes it light up and play "O Christmas Tree."

After everyone left, I noticed that my nativity in the living room had been rearranged by Scarlett into a much better pattern.  Everyone including the animals are surrounding the baby Jesus and worshiping Him!  It was a sweet reminder of the real reason for all that we have done to celebrate this special season.  I think I will set it up like this again next year.


Two more days until Christmas!

No comments: