Monday, January 21, 2019

Grandchildren Fun

I have had some fun opportunities hanging out with grandchildren over the past week.  The past two Saturday nights Scarlett and James have hung out at our house until bedtime and then I took them home to go to bed.

These were from two Saturdays ago when Jena, Scarlett, and James were playing super heroes and then royalty and then just flying, all because I tied sheets/blankets around their necks.


Scarlett is working hard because she is pulling James on the sheet.
Jena had to use two hands to pull Scarlett who had James hanging on to her feet.
Aunt Jena and her sheet became a tunnel.
Super Auntie Jena.....

Bedtime at home was a little more complicated than in the past.  After getting James to bed and Scarlett was settled in bed.  I headed downstairs to read a book.  A few minutes later, Scarlett came downstairs and told me that she was too excited to sleep since I was downstairs in her own house.  She curled up in my lap and we talked for about 45 minutes until Scott and Chantel got home  (I had warned them by text that she was still awake and sent them the photo below.  When you are a parent, coming home from date night to a quiet house was always the goal at night.  They were very sweet about it.  Chantel texted--'Aww glad you got to spend some close time with her. ' That is a sweet daughter-in-law.)  It was the sweetest time together except when I was worried about getting her to bed.  She talked about her preschool and her art--anything she could think of to keep the conversation going.  At one point she said, "I think I could sleep if I laid down on the lounger and could look at you."  She did that for about 2 minutes then opened her eyes and said, "Grandma, I love you.  I am happy you are at my house."    AND that is why we have children (because I have had similar sweet moments with them) and THEN they have children...because despite of the work involved, they fill us to the brim with love and hope in one sweet moment at a time.

My sweet friend, Robynn Thiot (from Plano, TX) sent me mermaid tails before these three granddaughters were born.  This past week, Jessica sent me a photo of her girls in the tails and then Tosha took one of Ava in her tail and then Jessica photo-shopped the three of them together in the mermaid photo.  All of which I shared with Robynn.  How grateful I am for cell phones and the access it gives to family and friends--and in this case both--to connect, enjoy, and be together if only for a brief moment.

Carter and Alex


Ava


I spent part of Friday and Saturday helping with Jessica's kids as well.  Elessia has been very sick with the flu (in spite of having the flu shot) and Jessica had to head to work.  I am so glad that we live close enough to help like that, although my work gets in the way sometimes.  I am so grateful for family and friends who would step in and help when I was sick and Gary was out of town.  Being a sick mom is never a great time.  And how lucky we were when I was struggling with migraines for several years that Gary was working from our home and he could take over when needed.

Jessica's kids--  (some photos she sent me and some I took)

Liam brought in some apples and told me
"Look, I made a mickey mouse."
Hard to see with his hands in the way but he did.

Alex and Carter

Zander
 Zander with Alex

Scott's kids

James

Scarlett--she likes mermaids, too.
And this is mothering (from Tosha) holding a sleeping Ava while Cooper and Niki are waiting nearby for you to do something......

Cooper and Niki


My kids have been known to mock me about how much I adore these little people.  In the first place, the silliness and playfulness I show with the grand-kids, I also did with my own kids.  They just don't remember that as much.  I tied sheets around their necks and we ran around the house; we built tent forts on rainy days and sunny ones; we played in the sandboxes at our various homes.  And second, in my heart of hearts, I know that my kids will someday hold grandchildren of their own and understand that unique spot that grandchildren hold--because when I look at my grandchildren not only do I see them, I see the reflections of their parents--my children.  When I see my children parenting their children, it makes that love doubled or squared!!

I am just a human mortal person, but it gives me another glimpse into the endless and unchanging love of our Heavenly Father and our brother, Jesus Christ.  They see clearly those family connections and reflections--and occasionally we even show His reflection in our lives.  How glad I am to know that the "Circle of Life" neither started here and will not end here, but instead is part of the whole of eternity.

No comments: