Monday, January 21, 2019

Changes are not painless............

Certainly a topic that I have touched on in the past.  The very nature of life including service in the Church is based on change and the potential that has to make us a better person.  However, change is not easy sometimes.

It started with a text from the ward executive secretary last Tuesday to meet with a member of the Bishopric on Sunday morning at 11:30.  First off, I would rather be in the "can you come over in 60 minutes to meet" club.  Having five days to think about it is never my idea of good fun.  However by Sunday morning, I had convinced myself that they were not going to release me from Primary because the new year had just started and I had a new class (who is amazing) and a great teacher partner.  They were just going to ask me to do something on top of that.

So when basically the first words were, "First, Sister Hall, we would like to extend a release from the Primary....." I wrinkled up my nose and said that I had hoped that I would keep that calling.  We spoke briefly about my service in the Primary and then he extended the call to teach Relief Society--which will be on the fourth Sunday of the even months.  Don't get me wrong.  I enjoy teaching Relief Society and I believe in the mission of Relief Society, but every other month---how do you even build a rapport or teaching connection with that?  I guess I will figure it out.

I had about 25 minutes to sit in the Chapel until our Sacrament Meeting started.  I spent the the time trying to read John 1 but mostly mourning.  I was teary for the whole time and through Church and in my class and in sharing time when the kids were singing.  Nothing can match that feeling when children are singing a beautiful Primary song about Christ.  And then again last night, I was tearful.  I feel good about feeling sad and tearful.  Loss is often connected with loving and loving is what I felt for my Primary classes over the past three years.

I will love teaching Relief Society again.  It has been over nine years since I have had a calling to teach adults and I know I like it.  But, Relief Society sisters, as sweet as they are, have never waved to me during Sacrament Meeting when they catch my eye or tell their mothers they love me or bring me sweet notes and treats at Christmas time.  It isn't the same, it is a loss, and it is okay.

And I am subbing next Sunday for my "old" teacher partner as her husband is having surgery!  So I don't quite have to give it up yet.

No comments: