Sunday, May 29, 2016

May Dance at the Bandstand

May 14th, Jena and I dressed up in our "May dance" clothes and headed to Salt Lake to our UDSF Teen/Adult dance.

It was on the University of Utah campus at the Bandstand.
As we were getting out of the car the first person we saw was Kaitlyn.
The Bandstand is actually located in the National Guard area of the campus.  All around the park were all of these stately old brick houses.
Here is the Bandstand.....
The view to the west and over the whole valley from the bandstand.
It was a great location, the weather was beautiful but a bit windy which made table clothes and paper plates take flight form time to time.
Dancing the afternoon away.....
Jena, Kaitlyn, Kinli, and Nathan
DJ Ivan
Nathan (his dad serves on the UDSF Board with me)
 The whole group---
 Dinner is served...........
Sunday morning we had to get up bright and early to make it to a 9:00 Church (Walnut Grove) to hear one of our favorite people talk.  Meggan and Jena have been friends since Sparrows moved to Syracuse about 15 years ago.  Meggan is serving a Young Church Service Mission at the Kaysville Pasta Plant.  She serves 3 days a week and she is loving it.  She did a great job on her talk.
When I printed this picture, I noticed how their clothes actually matched!
Later that night, these cute missionaries and their parents headed to a Mission Fireside down in the Little Theatre at the Conference Center.  Brad Wilcox spoke about the gospel.

I had gotten a message that my friend Kim Redford (who is a friend from Hong Kong days) was going to be there with her son, Kade.
She had to agree to a picture.
I spent two days with Kathy and Jeff and
didn't take any pictures of them.
I am on a mission to take pictures of my dear friends.
One down and  ?????to go.

You might notice that I am posting more pictures of me (maybe you haven't but read on).  I have turned over a new leaf about that issue.  I am not a fan of pictures of myself like most people.  However I read an article which helped me to re-frame the issue.  A woman wrote that her mother had recently died.  While they were searching for pictures, they noticed a lack of pictures in the latter half of their mom's life.  She could remember her mom saying--"I am too old for pictures," "My hair is too grey...or thin...or flat"......and the list of reasons continues and no pictures were taken. She observed that the problem was that those years that her mom didn't have pictures taken were the very years that her own children were born and loved their grandmother.  She had always had grey hair and they loved her.  She had carried some extra pounds and they loved her.  Her hair had been thin and they still loved her.  The young dark-haired woman her children never knew.  The author then committed to take those pictures no matter what throughout your life.  That is really life and people love you---especially your grandchildren. I am not going to turn into a selfie machine but I will try to post a few more along the way, because I want my grandchildren to remember me just the way I was.

No comments: