Thursday, May 19, 2016

Austen's quilt

I don't necessarily consider myself a procrastinator--I am busy enough that I try to plan to get things done in an orderly and timely manner so that life isn't so stressful for me.  However, deadlines are also useful for me because that same busyness can prevent me from getting done some of the more "optional" or  "creative" things I want to do.  Such is the story of Austen's quilt.

This is actually is 2015 Christmas present.  Austen had commented once that no one had ever made him a quilt before and Tosha mentioned that he love to use her "Cars" quilt that I made for her years ago so I decided to make him a quilt for Christmas.  I spend a few months in the fall looking for the right fabric and actually ordered some of it off the internet (of course the main one I wanted ended up being discontinued so I got my money back instead of the cute fabric I wanted) and the hunt continued.  However with Christmas and school and UDSF and etc.  I didn't get it done....then I decided that I couldn't mail it anyway.  I didn't want to risk losing it in the mail to Japan so I decided I would take it when I went at the end of April.............well, immediately that project and the fabric went to the end of the line in my "to-do" list.  


And then mid-April arrives and my cute project was still sitting on the shelf.  Crunch time!

And for someone who doesn't like to sew, I love making quilts---easy ones only, of course.  It was so relaxing and fun to take the fabric and cut it into blocks and to watch it come together.  It was the perfect balance to the busy time of school and other things going on.

There are cars and airplanes for my Airman son-in-law:




Tosha's quilt was tied so I wanted them to match.  However after I
got to Okinawa, I realized her quilt was bigger and tied in black not red.  Oh well, Austen loves it (at least so he says.  He is a good son-in-law!).
(Now I can imagine that my other children and in-laws will be wondering about their own quilts, because I haven't made quilts for all of them yet.  Don't worry---I have plans for all of you--my favorite people in the world!)


No comments: