Monday, March 15, 2010

My sister, Valerie, is in Spain....

...and it looks wonderful.  As we folllow their postings from Spain, it is amazing to see the beautiful buildings, fountains, and just "old" stuff everywhere.  I might have to add Spain on my list of places to visit.

I grew up always wanting to go to China, Thailand, and Holland.  Odd combination and I am not really sure how that developed.  I remember playing in the sand box with my younger sisters when I was 12 and one of them said, "Let's dig to China".which was a common phrase at the time.  I remember thinking, "You can't dig to China but I am going to China."  In sixth grade, we were watching a film on south east Asia that included Thailand with water buffalos and monks in orange robes.  Then it was more like a feeling indicating that I would see those very things in person.  Holland I have no idea why except I want to see the windwills.  I did like a lot of fairy tales and some of those had Dutch connections.  Anyway, those were the three places that I really wanted to see.  The only other big thing I wanted to visit as a kid was the Panama Canel which I think everyone should want to see.  (Point of disclaimer in case Gary is reading this:  Since becoming an adult, I have added a few places in addition to those mentioned above.)

That said, in our great opportunities to travel, I love the people, nature, and animals of the area.  The best way to describe it is that I like knowing what that piece of the globe looks like and feels like to be there.  I have never been a "great building" kind of traveler.  And, with the exception of Holland, have not been too interested in Europe.  However, I may have to reconsider this stance.  Spain looks amazing, my brother Rick and his family took at trip to Germany and Austria and that looked awesome, and Gary says that he definately wants to take me to England (in June when the weather is nice).....and of course, there is Africa with the amazing animal life..........and you get the message, the list can go on and on.  And then there is the oceans.............

Hopefully, there is time to visit these amazing places in the hereafter, because there isn't time to see it all before.  I am so lucky that I have family and friends to share their travels with...it is almost as good as going yourself (and certainly more affortable!)  What an amazing place we live!

Happy trails to you.
A stock photo of China

No comments: