Saturday, March 27, 2010

Daughters and other sweet things......

A number of years ago, I made the comment to Gary that I wished that our daughters were closer to each other in age.  He commented something like"...you were there.  It wasn't like we weren't trying."  It made me laugh because I really had made the comment as if we had been in control.

Today I realized one of the benefits of having three daughters who are 7 years apart (Jessica and Tosha) and 6 years apart (Tosha and Jena).  I will be able to attend 18 years of YW General Meetings (to be accurate I can't remember when they started these meetings so I am not sure when Jessica and I began attending them).  Jena and I went tonight and it was awesome.  Gary got some pictures of us on our way out to the meeting..


Silly man.

The speakers were great and Pres. Uchtdorf was outstanding as he talked about fairy tales that start "Once upon a time...".  He reminded us that to get to the "happily ever after" the characters had to go through adventures and trials.    It was a great talk. 

The closing song was "How Firm A Foundation" and it was wonderful to sing that great hymn with her.  It made me cry.  Years ago when Jena was little, I didn't expect that she would read as well as she does, especially well enough to sing a hymn.  It was another sweet moment as her mother.

And that is the great thing about daughters....... even spaced years apart.  There are so many moments where you are just happy to be their mom.

PS...I guess I am thinking about daughters tonight because Gary, Jena, Gary's sister, Valerie and I went to the matinee production at the Hale Theater of "Fiddler on the Roof".  It was fabulous--one of the best muscials ever and one of the best shows we have seen at Hale Theater. 
If you remember, he had five daughters.

3 comments:

Robynn said...

I would like to echo your comment about how wonderful daughters are. I love that we both have a Tosha and a Tatia. I was those sweet daughters that began our friendship many years ago in the halls at the Legacy Chapel. Thanks for sharing your sweet comments about the Young Women's Conference. You are truly a thrice blessed gal with 3 daughters.

The Neerings Family said...

Reading your comment about you crying at that moment just about made me cry...we must be related! :o)

Valerie Ipson said...

I loved President Uchtdorf's message. Can't wait to use it in Young Women's sometime...also Sister Dalton's messge on beauty.