Thursday, December 15, 2022

Our Israel Devotional

(Slightly out of order which happens when you are working about 6 weeks behind on the blog)

Before we left for Israel, our missionaries kept asking us if we were going to do a fireside and share "all" of our pictures with them.  Well, you know that totaled to 1284 photos and really no one likes to see your vacation pictures (except I do if you went somewhere I am interested in.)  Anyway, we said we would do a devotional when we got back.

I complied about 40 photos in a PowerPoint which took about 3 minutes to show and I gave the following message:

"Elder Elder asked us to take some time today to share some highlight from our trip.  And since we have come back, many people have asked about photos and what we did. I hope you were all serious, because you will now get a look at our trip--the dreaded "travel log" of some of our experiences in Israel. My computer reported that I took around 1284 photos so be glad that you are seeing just a few....

inserted PowerPoint there (It included pictures you have already seen on the blog.)

People have asked me if this trip was "life changing". I had to answer, no. Not that I didn't have sweet experiences, learned new things, and gained a greater appreciation for the history and times of the Bible--but testimonies don't come that way---they don't come from a place.

Let me recreate for you a moment we had in the seaside port of Joppa.  This is the place where Jonah boarded the boat to flee from his assignment to Nineveh. It is also the place where Peter was in the story retold in Acts 10. As a group, we sat in a place near the sea and near where two different churches claim to having the actual place of the home of the tanner where Peter was staying--that is an example of the religious tourism part of our trip. There we opened our devices and listened while Elder Rona read from the New Testament:

In the interest of time, I will read just a portion. This chapter starts with the account of Cornelius who has a vision and is told to seek knowledge from Peter who is in Joppa.  He sends three men down to Joppa to retrieve Peter and bring him to Cornelius's home in Caesarea which is 35 miles up the coast.

Verses 9 through 20

On the morrow, as they went on their journey, and drew nigh unto the city, Peter went up upon the ahousetop to pray about the sixth hour:

10 And he became very hungry, and would have eaten: but while they made ready, he fell into a atrance,

11 And saw aheaven opened, and a certain vessel descending unto him, as it had been a great sheet bknit at the four corners, and let down to the earth:

12 Wherein were all manner of fourfooted beasts of the earth, and wild beasts, and creeping things, and fowls of the air.

13 And there came a voice to him, Rise, Peter; kill, and eat.

14 But Peter said, Not so, Lord; for I have never eaten any thing that is common or aunclean.

15 And the voice spake unto him again the second time, What God hath acleansedthat call not thou bcommon.

16 This was done thrice: and the vessel was received up again into heaven.

17 Now while Peter doubted in himself what this vision which he had seen should mean, behold, the men which were sent from Cornelius had made inquiry for Simon’s house, and stood before the gate,

18 And called, and asked whether Simon, which was surnamed Peter, were lodged there.

19 ¶ While Peter thought on the vision, the aSpirit said unto him, Behold, three men seek thee.

20 Arise therefore, and get thee down, and ago with them, doubting nothing: for I have sent them.

 Peter agreed to return with the three men and on the next day started off for Caesarea. When he arrived, he found that Cornelius had gathered kinsmen and friends to hear him speak.  Picking up the story in verse 34, Peter bears his testimony:

Then Peter opened his mouth, and said, Of a truth I perceive that God is no arespecter of persons:

35 But in every anation he that bfeareth him, and cworketh drighteousness, is eaccepted with him.

36 The aword which God sent unto the children of Israel, preaching peace by Jesus Christ: (he is Lord of all:)

37 That word, I say, ye know, which was published throughout all Judæa, and began from Galilee, after the baptism which John preached;

38 How God aanointed Jesus of Nazareth with the bHoly Ghost and with power: who went about doing good, and healing all that were coppressed of the devil; for dGod was with him.

39 And we are awitnesses of all things which he did both in the land of the Jews, and in Jerusalem; whom they slew and hanged on a tree:

40 Him God araised up the third day, and bshewed him openly;

41 aNot to all the people, but unto witnesses chosen before of God, even to us, who did eat and drink with him after he rose from the dead.

42 And he commanded us to apreach unto the people, and to testify that it is he which was bordained of God to be the cJudge of quick and dead.

43 To him give all the prophets awitness, that through his bname whosoever cbelieveth in him shall receive dremission of sins.

And the following verses say that the Holy Ghost fell on the people and borne witness to what Peter had said.

As we stopped reading and quietly filed into the nearby Church, I began to weep as I thought about Peter's vision and the opening of the preaching of the gospel to the Gentiles.  I have always loved this story and even more now that I am a missionary and charged with bringing the gospel to all the world.  Of course, our assignments at this time isn't preaching the gospel, but getting important events and testimonies recorded to strengthen the Saints and to remember the goodness of God.  My testimony of Jesus Christ came the same way it did to these early Saints through the blessing of the Holy Ghost--in quiet moments of personal prayer, in times of scripture study, through making covenants, while engaging in service, when repenting, partaking of His sacrament--daily living as I try to put my life in His way and follow Him.

I testify with Peter and all of the prophets that Jesus Christ is our Savior and Redeemer.  He paid for our sins through His suffering in Gethsemane, through the events f the following day until He gave His life freely on the cross.  On the third day, He rose from the dead that we all might be resurrected someday.  He fulfilled the law of Moses, taught the better way, and at the right time, restored His gospel back to the earth. The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints is that restored gospel led by that same Jesus Christ."

That was my devotional.  Now for the rest of the story--

I had asked Sister Forman to offer the closing prayer for our devotional.  She is our 90 year old missionary who has memorized hundreds of poems.  She has  shared them during her devotionals during the year and at other occasions. It is quite remarkable.

As she stood up to give the prayer, she said: "I would like to share a poem that came to mind as Sister Hall shared."  Then she quoted this poem---I asked for a copy later to put it in this blog.  

I'VE WALKED WHERE JESUS WALKED

If I could go to Galilee and walk where Jesus walked,

And sit in tender grasses on the hillside where He taught,

If I could sit and ponder on a rock that knew His hand

Or walk along the seashore where His feet have touched the sand.

If I could feel the cooling breeze lifted from the sea

Where He called the humble fisherman--how full my life would be.


The Spirit yearns within me, but alas, it doesn't seem my fate,

I'll never go to Galilee, I'll never see, but wait--

I've worshipped in His temple where I know He's been before.

Have His feet been down this hallway? Have His fingers touched this door?

Has He stood within this very room and looked at what I see

In the quiet of the temple, I feel His love for me.


I close my eyes and picture Him. My worries fly away.

I don't need to go to Galilee or travel far away

For my hungry soul is filled with things He wants me to be taught

And the Spirit burns within me--I've walked where Jesus walked.

(author unknown)

We were mostly tearful by the end of it,  It was a sweet and perfect end to the devotional. I couldn't have planned it any better.  And her prayer even sweeter!

No comments: