Sunday, May 16, 2021

City Walking

Is very different than walking on the trails of Davis County.

The first afternoon I loved it---new things around every corner and I appreciated the opportunity to do a bit more up and down walking---western Davis county is mostly flat walking.  Here are some of the views from that first walk this past week (referring to my first actual "walk for exercise") since moving to Salt Lake.

Here is a look at the front door of our building on 1st Ave.


Our apartment balcony is barely visible through the trees at this angle, but that white fencing near the top is our balcony.
Heading east.....
A piece of new construction in the blue modern style home with the Cathedral of the Madeleine in the back.
Here is a back view of the cathedral.  Some time I will go around the front and take a photo there.  It is suppose to be very beautiful inside with amazing stained glass windows.
Flowers in bloom all along the way....

This is a statue called the Passageway to Peace which was designed by students as part of a contest.

It was hard to get a good shot because of the shadows but it is a collection of different figures of humans.
Walking in the Avenues is a mix of the old....
and the new---side by side or across the street from each other.
Heading down 2nd Ave, I crossed over to Temple Square and walked through a part of it on my journey.
Positive side:  I didn't have to worry about crossing streets frequently.  Downside:  We as missionaries have to wear masks on Temple Square.

On the Church Office Building
Cranes parked for the night.....
If you know a child who loves cranes, this is a building site to visit.  They are quite amazing.
A view of the back of the Joseph Smith Memorial building over the construction wall.
What fun to be able to walk on Temple Square even in the middle of construction....
Detail on the outside of the building--
Around on the fencing, they have old pictures reflecting scenes from the first building of the temple.
The beautiful "awning" by the front doors of the Joseph Smith Memorial Building which aren't open.  We always have to use the southwest door to access the building for meetings or going to the mission office.
The Church Administration Building.....

Eagle Gate which crossing over State Street
Flowers along the way...
back up a little hill to our apartment complex---
I have to say that while there are some nice things about walking around in downtown Salt Lake for exercise, I was really happy on Friday morning to have an excuse to walk a trail in Davis county (Jena serves only 2 hours on Friday so one of us usually stays in the area when we drive her.) along the Legacy Parkway Trail.

Things I don't like about city walking--
1.  Traffic--especially in the small blocks in our area of town.  with the hills and narrow roads, it is a bit of an adventure to cross the street at each corner.
2.  Sidewalks--very uneven so the focus is often on my feet so I don't trip.  

Trails allow for a more peaceful, thinking type of walk.  I am sure I will adapt.  I need to find a place where I can walk without crossing streets frequently.  Right now you can't circle Temple Square because parts of the sidewalk are closed with the construction.  I think I am going to head up State to the State Capital this week and loop the capital which will only have parking lot openings to cross.  There is a bit of a hill to get there.......come join me for a walk!


No comments: