Sunday, February 8, 2015

Friday "Fun"

As I have confessed many times, I don't keep a journal so sometimes I like to record a week or a day of events to show how crazy life can sometimes be and it is okay and you can get by.  My Friday was actually one of those types of days.  I am not sure how so many things got piled on one day but they did and it actually was quite a good day.

9:00-10:40  Met with Aubrey Meyer, Family Preservation and Post Adoption director for the Division of Child and Family Services (DCFS).  It was the final interview for a position as an intern with them next year.  It is rare they take a first year intern but one of the people in my class is a supervisor in the area and he encouraged them to meet with me.  Plus they know my professor who is also very supportive of the plan.  Hopefully I will not be in over my head.  I left with books to read, more books to get and a suggestion to start reading the policies and procedures for the department.  That won't happen until the break between terms.

11:12:30  Meeting up at Weber State (25 minutes northeast)  with two professors who are charged with the task of setting up a "Think College" program on campus for individuals with cognitive delays.  Exciting times.  I had offered to get some parents together as a focus group and they took me up on it.  We had 15 parents at this meeting.

Talked in the halls with some parents and then zoomed back to Syracuse to get my hair cut and colored.  1:30-3:00

Had about an hour at home to touch bases with Gary, Ben, and Jena and then do some emails.  Then into the car again to run Jena and Emily down to theatre class in Centerville (25 minutes south).  Read homework for 45 minutes while they sang and danced.

Hopped back in the car to drop Emily home and then Jena and speed back up to Weber State for my second parent focus meeting with the professors (Northwest 33 minutes-rush hour-to Syracuse and then 25 minutes north east to Weber State).  We had 8 more parents who came that night.  Again it was another great opportunity for people to put in ideas as this program begins to take shape.  Done at 8ish and headed back home.

With all of the miles I put on the car that day, I felt like I should have done somewhere fun with Gary.  Luckily the weather here has been mild and beautiful so driving was good. 

Got home around 9:15 p.m.  It was a productive day but a crazy one.  Thank heavens for Gary manning the home front and making sure that things were okay and people got fed.

(Historical note: The weather is actually way too warm for this time of the year.  We have made some records for the warmest days in February ever and also the highest low temperatures at night.  We have had bits of rain which have included some snow in the mountains but not enough to prevent water concerns for the summer.  Some of the early spring flowers are starting to peek through the ground.  Might be a bad year for tulips if they start coming up and then get slammed with winter weather.)

No comments: