Sunday, January 3, 2010

Resolutions.....

Have you set your New Year resolutions? I haven't yet but I recently read a list I made for last year and I didn't do so well.  I had intended to read the Doctrine and Covenants along with the Sunday School...but that got a bit harder when I got called into the Primary in May....(can you hear the excuses...I am sure if I thought hard enough I could think of an excuse for each one of my undone resolutions.)  It kinds of discourages me from making a list again.  It all goes back to change---change is hard.

However, when I look back over last year, I do feel like things are different than last year.  My house is a bit more organized (having extra bedrooms helps a lot), I have studied new things and learned more from the scriptures, conference talks, and non-fiction books I read.  I have tried some new recipes (some better, some not so good).  I have tried to do a little better as a visiting teacher.  I have tried to go to bed earlier.

How does change really occur?....for me, in tiny, mini steps in a new direction without fanfare and lights!  A desire to do better at something and when a choice is place in front of me, I try to choose that new direction over the old direction.  Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, but I want to keep trying the "new way" instead of the old way.

Someone shared their "blueprint for 2010" which included a list of things that they intend to do in the upcoming year.  Some were things that you do and then mark off, others were more related to a change in behavior.  "Blueprint" is a nice term.  I can state that I will plan a family vacation to Moab and then when it is over, I can mark it off.  My calendar is filling up with plans(or a blueprint) for the upcoming year. 

I guess whatever happens in the upcoming year, I wanted to handle it a bit better than last year.  I want to learn more about lots of things, and I want to listen better---to those around me and most of all to the promptings that surround me and then to go and do the things that I only can do.  I think that is my resolution.....................................................................................(and to exercise 3-4 times a week, either walking or on our new elliptical, now in working order.  According to the newspaper, exericise is one of the number one resolutions for Americans, so I am now part of the majority!)

Good luck with your resolutions.

No comments: