Friday, January 22, 2010

Jena's accomplishment

Since this is my blog and I have never read the rules of blogging and no one has ever stepped in and told me I can't do something, I am going to announce a great achievment by our own....Jena Hall!

We have been letting Jena stay home alone when we will be gone under 45 minutes or so, mostly during the day and if we are near by.  She has done well, followed our rules, only answered the phone when we call, no cooking, etc.  She appreciates the experiences "because she is a teenager and not a baby any more.".  Of course, I can think of a million things that could go wrong....but they didn't with the older children.  They had actually more trouble if they were together rather than one of them alone.....except for the story about Scott and the TV watching when he was grounded, but that is a story for another day.  Back to Jena's story.

Tonight was Pack Meeting--Rain Gutter Regada--which involved both Gary and I for set up and running the show.  Dinner was not quite ready when we left, so the plan was for her to stay with Ben and eat dinner.  I was to go pick her up before it started at 6:30 (and before Ben left for work).  As these things happen occassionaly (hopefully not just in my life) I forgot to go pick her up.  Ben headed off to work as planned and Jena waited for me to come and get her. 

After 7:00, I received a call from home.  I called back and Jena answered.  Of course, as soon as I saw a call from home, I remembered and started heading out the door  (during Gary's awesome pirate skit for the arrow of light--hopefully pictures will follow of that outfit),  Jena was just wondering if I could pick her up.  I didn't know that she could call my cell number.  We probably have not practised actually dialing my number for over a year.  She had remember that I posted the numbers inside the pantry door and had looked it up and called me when she knew I was late.  Isn't she amazing!  (And yes, Jessica, Scott, Ben, and Tosha, it was amazing when you first learned to call me, but you were 5 or so and I didn't blog then.)  I am so grateful that Jena was able to work this skill out when she needed it.

By the way, she realized a fourth place ribbon in the area meets and just missed out the last seat for the State Tournments.  Again we are not sure of the scoring system...she was in the only group of five--four from her own team and she bowled better in the scores than two of the other bowlers--it has someting to do with their past averages.  She is okay with it, as are we.  She doesn't like to miss school!

2 comments:

Robynn said...

Go Jena Go!!!! You are my hero! Sister T.O. LOVES you!

Valerie Ipson said...

Excellent, Jena!