Sunday, November 1, 2020

Grandma's House

One of the things that we sometimes talk about as siblings and with our cousins is:  Grandma's house.  While our grandmother lived in a number of different houses as we grew up, there is one and only one that I think of as Grandmother's house.  She and my Grandpa lived on the bottom floor of a very old house on Weilder street in Portland, Oregon, and all of the older cousins and siblings have some memory of this house.  However, we have almost no photos of it.  

I wanted my kids to have pictures to remind them of their grandma's house as this was truly the only one their Hall grandparents lived in.  I should have taken photos before everything was taken out, because it is sad to see it empty, but just in case--


The main bathroom
The master bedroom
The closets---oh, how my kids and then their kids loved to come and see themselves on three sides of mirrors!
The office----
Her car---the only she purchased after Dad Hall passed away, because she was mad at him!

Grandma's child rocking chair which is now at our house--

Sunset view from the front of the house----across the Bluff Road

The donkey and address stone in the front---how many grandchildren have painted that donkey over the years--and I think Charon has as well.
We thought a flag pole was such a great gift one year, but then the tree grew!!!
This trailer of Grandma and Grandpa has been well used by the entire family.  It got lots of use while we were cleaning up.
Those ducks have been in the front for years.  All of my grandchildren love checking them out when they came for a visit.
The backyard---Grandpa Hall especially loved trees.

Two garages--one for their RV and tools and another for the tractor and supplies.

Their back field and in the far background, the red brick house that Gary and his sisters grew up in.  Gary's parents moved to this house several months after we got married in 1978.

We had some many fun family gatherings on this porch and in this backyard.  So hard to say goodbye.


I can see I need a few more pictures of the basement and the front room but I will try to add them later.

More views of the house from our 2010 family photo shoot!

The front porch


Front yard----
Backyard---
This house was called Grandma's house by every grandchild except for Jena.  She called it Grandpa's house until he passed away.  He loved that.  And she easily switched to calling it Grandma's house after his death.  In fact, I marveled that I never heard her call it Grandpa's house again.  I hope that our children and greatgrandchildren have fond memories of their Grandparents and their house and the fun we had there.



No comments: