Tuesday, January 4, 2022

The Saga Of The Book Signing

This is the story about getting 12 busy missionary zone leader couples to sign 4 books without the mission presidency being aware of what was happening.  We serve all over the Temple Square Complex, referred to as the Campus.  Some serve in the Family Search Library, others in the Church History Library, the COB, and in the Joseph Smith Memorial Building on three different floors. Some of us are full-time missionaries and others only serve part-time.  In addition, with it being holiday season, people were traveling here and there throughout the month.  It took almost an act of Congress to find a time to gather to give the gifts.  Signing the books....I predicted it would be somewhat of a pain and take lots of my time!!!

What Actually Happened:

The meetings we had during the month always included someone of the mission presidency, so I knew that I was going to spend a good share of a week transporting four, heavy books from one place to another to get them signed.  I figured it would involve lots of emails, phone calls, and meeting up in different places of the Campus, but everyone was on board with the plan and I figured it would be worth it for the time it would take---

Sidebar story:  When I was a senior in high school and living in Amarillo, Texas, I remember a conversation I had with my dad.  We were cleaning up after a seminary activity. Only one or two of the people had showed up who were suppose to help with set up and most people had headed right out after it was done leaving the same few people to clean up as well. I said to my dad, "I can't wait until I am a grown-up and everyone does their part."  My dad, in a kind and tactful way, pointed out that things might not change that much when I was adult.  There were still people who did and people who didn't even as adults.  It was good advice, because I was prepared by the time I became an adult for the reality of this.

Fast forward to the signing of the books: (I didn't take exact notes as this was being played out, so it might be slightly out of order, but this is the gist!)

Friday, December 3rd, I dropped the books off in the mission office for Elder and Sister Temple to sign them.  They passed them to Elder and Sister Farnsworth who after they signed them....dropped them off in the book bag on the 1st floor of the Church History Library for the Carters to sign on Monday.  Without being asked, the Carters passed the books off to the Hiltbrands, also in the Church History Library who signed them.

The following Tuesday, I reached out to Hiltbrands, but they reported that they had gone to the Family History Library the day before and decided to drop them off there to be signed.  On Thursday, I discovered that three of the four couples there had signed them and one of them had dropped them off at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building to another couple who hadn't signed them yet.  I reached out to the couple at the Joseph Smith Memorial Building and indicated that I was going to come and get the books on Thursday.  They said fine, but they would get another couple on the 3th floor to sign them first.  Later, she emailed back to say that the 6th floor couple was out of town but they had run into another couple from the COB at lunch and had them come and sign the books as well.  She wondered if I wanted her to keep the books until the 6th floor zone leaders returned.  Of course, I said yes.

Which meant on the following Wednesday, I went and picked up the books after our mission fireside from the 6th floor zone leaders.  When I saw the books for the first time after starting this chain of events, I noticed that one of the zone leaders had actually made a list of the zone leaders and put it with the books so that people could mark it off after they had signed.  Smart idea--but not mine.

 I took them back on Thursday to the Family Search Library for the remaining zone leaders to sign.  When they signed them, they insisted on bringing them back to us at the Church History Library.  Then I was able to carry them home, wrap them and bring them to the mission home.

I know it is a confusing tale but the summary was that I only delivered it to two other couples--the first ones to sign and the last ones.  Without asking, these amazing zone leaders did the leg work themselves, passing the books between themselves without fanfare.

And THAT is why we love those we serve with.  They are the people who stay until the last chair is put away or volunteer for the dirt jobs.  These missionary leaders are amazing!  I want to be like them when I grow up!

1 comment:

Robynn said...

You ARE Just Like them and even more important, You are just like Him and that is one of the many reasons why I ❤️ You!