Sunday, January 2, 2022

More Missionary Moments

On Tuesday, December 14, I heard that Matt Heiss had "cleaned his office" and there were signs!!  So I headed up to the third floor to see it for myself.
And Sister Winn--who is of German descent--and VERY tidy about things did love it!

Wednesday morning, December 15,  I got a text alert on my phone around 6:15 am saying that due to the storm the buildings on the Temple Square complex would be having a late start at 10:00.  Sure enough, snow on the ground.  We spent some time sending emails and texts to all of our missionaries to let them know to stay home and then we went back to bed for awhile.  Snow morning---

When it was time to head out to the Church History Library, the sun was shinning and the world was glistening.


During the day, I headed up to the 3rd floor to find someone and noticed this piece of art work--a baptism in the river.  I don't know if it was the way the light was hitting the piece or my mood, but it caused me to stop a moment and ponder about the faithfulness of the early converts and missionaries...a stop in a busy day at the Church History Libray.
More scenes from the snowfall of the night---
One of the disadvantages of the late start was that we were planning on having donuts and saying goodbye to the Twelmeyers in person at prayer meeting.  Late start meant no prayer meeting--but the staff from the COB had still come into work and I had 4 doz. donuts waiting to be picked up.  Fortunately, there is a tunnel from one place to another so I carted the donuts to the Church History Library Winter Quarters Room and we gathered all of the missionaries there and staff and shared donuts as a mid-afternoon break.  They were yummy and the staff enjoyed sharing with us.
I had to return the cart by 4:00 and on my way out of the cafeteria, I came across the "Free Hot Chocolate" stand.  I love hot chocolate especially on a snowy day!  I stopped and got a cup which warmed me on the walk up to our apartment.  A sweet blessing for being a missionary today!

That night, we dressed up and headed back to the JSMB for our Mission Christmas Fireside.  It was done by Glenn Rawson (historian and storyteller) and Jason Tonioli (pianst).  It was very nice.  Brother Rawson shared some Christmas stories and while he talked, Brother Tonioli played.  They shared that it is not scripted but after years of working together, it blended together in an very nice way.

Afterwards, we got boxed lunches which we took to the 6th floor and ate in the lobby there.  (We had to pick up something from missionaries on the 6th floor which is how we ended up there--in case you were curious.)

Then we walked home in truly a winter wonderland!

I am not a snow person at all, but even I see its beauty in the glistening sun or the dark of night!
 

No comments: