Sunday, December 24, 2017

The Best Christmas Present-con't

 or " Dec. 16-Hall Christmas "Eve".

The Sunday before was magical as you have already read.  There was only one thing that kept it from being perfect.  Ben was not with us.  So, I started the process to request a special visit home.  I didn't get a response from my first request, but fortunately during Ben's clinical, I had the opportunity to ask in person.  The next day I was notified that they would allow Ben to come home for a short visit on Sunday, the 17th, so the party planning began in earnest.  Everyone was going to be home at the same time.  And, if you know me, you aren't surprised that I decided at the last minute to try to get a family picture done. 

Unfortunately that is easier said than done.  Our regular photographer was recovering from 7 kidney stones so I didn't dare ask her and it was a Sunday, which I was reluctant to ask someone else to take photos on that day.  Chantel reminded me that her brother took photos and he was willing to do it.  No time for a fancy, tastefully blended but not matching family photo, it was show up on time at the bird refuge, wearing warm clothes and your coat, and we will make it work.  I did get some red scarfs and 6 red beanies for the grandchildren. Even if I have to only do pictures in black and white, I don't care about the clothes.  I just wanted all of my family in a family photo.

It was a cold day (think about 36 degrees), but clear and gorgeous.  I haven't seen the photos yet, but here are some candid shots I took.  And, congratulations to all of us for getting there early!  And I heard no complaining about it (of course, that is because most of those complaining came from other locations. ) I didn't hear Gary yell once, "This is what your mom once, so just smile!"

Scarlett and Liam with Elessia keeping them off the ice
 We are likely one of the only families who will have a photo with this exact angle.  Many people have family photos taken here, but most don't do it when their photographer can climb on the ice covering a pond to get the whole group in.  (Sorry, Robyn Berenyi, it was a bit scary when he first took to the ice.)
Austin, Chantel's brother
What you don't see in this picture of Scott and James is that Chantel also got on the ice behind her brother and began jumping up and down to get James's attention.  It wasn't until later that I realized that wasn't a good idea.  Austin had been standing on the ice for a while by then and I kinda forgot it wasn't solid ground.
Scott and James
I didn't realize that Niki and Austen were photobombing this picture....
 I was aiming at Tosha and Cooper.

Elessia and Zander sharing the scarf...
Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, outdoor and closeup
 And, proof, Ben was there, too.
Ben with Zander....
 Image may contain: 1 person, cloud, sky, outdoor and closeup
Gary with Zander...

Scarlett and Chantel with Jessica and Zander in the background.

A photo for Austen of Tosha with the boys....
The sun was starting to set over Antelope Island to the west
 Gary heading back to the car.....
The mountains to the east as the sun was setting.........even in the winter, the colors can be amazing!  Sorry all you flatlanders who don't get to see this every day.

 Jessica, Elessia, Zander and Liam walking back from the photo shoot.
 Jena is there behind Elessia, holding Liam's hand.
My kids are the best.  They know what family photos mean to me and they encouraged me to make it happen and didn't complain about it.  Thanks.

And then we headed home for dinner and play:

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, sitting
Liam and Niki
This may be the only shot of the three first generation children in the same shot not blurry because of their constant motion.
Image may contain: one or more people, people sitting and child
Niki, Scarlett, Liam 
I got mostly matching pjs this year, never imaging that they would be together when they opened them.  One of my friends (Robynn Thiot) had done matching pjs and posted cute pictures of her grandchildren who are spread out over the United States.  I thought it would be fun for our grandchildren as well.

Image may contain: one or more people and child

At least, Tosha will smile at the camera.  These boys were always on the move with something else to do.

 Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting
I didn't have my camera as it was in the car with Gary who was the one that took Ben back and forth from Provo today. (That is 1 hour 20 minutes one way so for Gary, he spent about 6 hours in the car so that we could have Ben home for about 3 hours.  That is an amazing spouse.)  I am taking these from Jessica, and there were a couple more of the three older kids.....
Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, christmas tree
Liam, Scarlett and Niki with me
Then we tried to add a few more kids, lost Liam but added Cooper and Zander...kinda of.... 
 Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting


Image may contain: 3 people, christmas tree
Zander, Cooper, and James
And one more because they are so cute.

Image may contain: 3 people, people smiling, people sitting and christmas tree

And from Tosha, these adorable pictures of Niki, Scarlett, and Liam at the piano....so another shot of the three oldest.


And there you have it--my Best Christmas gift this year.  All five of our kids, three spouses, and six grandchildren all in our house at the same time.

And Grandma Hall joined us for a bit of the fun this evening as well.

1 comment:

Robynn said...

Oh Judy! I have great big crocodile tears racing down my cheeks as I look at the photos of your family ALL together. I know those exact feelings of the wonder and merriment it brings to a mama heart to have everyone together. I LOVED reading your Christmas posts and feel the Joy that you have too. Thank you for sharing!!!!! SLY