Sunday, October 16, 2016

Missing family.....

Niki along a boardwalk in Okinawa 
It is weird how some days you can be busy with life and not really think about your family and things and then other days it just hurts to be away from them.

I have had one of those weeks where I have just missed Tosha, Austen and Niki so much.  It occurred to me on Wednesday night that we have never had all three of our grandchildren in the same spot at the same time (not counting when Jessica was pregnant with Liam) and now we will have at least two more join our family before that will happen.  It makes me sad to think about.  Truthfully, I never thought about stuff like that when I was the one who lived away from our families.  A friend and I comment on that from time to time (they lived in Puerto Rico for five years when their kids were young)--we didn't know how hard it was for our moms to be so far away from their grandkids.  Hats off to my children's grandparents who always made us feel like we were supported and loved even far away. And how they welcomed us when we came to visit.

Pictures from Facebook--

Niki have fun with a friend in Okinawa

Austen and Tosha
Scott, Chantel, and Scarlett went to a football game at Weber State.  Scarlett's first football game.


I can't wait until we are all together again plus Baby Zander and Baby James
(if no set of parents change the current names for the two little grandsons on their way!)

I have also been missing my siblings but that is usual for this time of the year.  Today is my brother Mike's birthday, Tuesday is my brother Todd's birthday and Wednesday was my mom's birthday.  As Todd and Mike were a year and two years younger than me, this time of year always reminds me of my childhood.  My mother loved October and the changing colors and the falling leaves.  She was from western Oregon where they really know how to have fall.
Todd and me

Mike--although we called him Mickey at this point
My grandfather Owen, Todd, Mike and Me with my parents in the back
just before my sister Robin was born.
 Families are the greatest!

No comments: