Sunday, July 31, 2016

Flying by....

with or without pictures to show for it!  I can't believe how fast this summer is going.  It seems like it barely started and now tomorrow is August!

We enjoyed a quiet 24th of July holiday (on the 25th since the 24th fell on a Sunday).  I was able to work on some homework, housework, and I think I even read a book for pleasure for a couple of hours.

Tuesday during the day, I met my brother Mike at my dad's for an afternoon of conversation.  Karla's daughter Kim and her family were also there as they are in town for Karla's granddaughter's wedding on Thursday.

I headed to a work meeting for a school project (happily our actual classes were cancelled for the holiday weekend).  We were able to get the rough draft of our final project for our research class done so we have been spending the rest of the week cleaning it up.  Google docs is a wonderful thing. From our houses and vacations we can all work on the document and if you happen to be on when someone else is you can see their cursor indicating where they are working in the document.  I have a great group and it was been fun to work with them for the second time.  Doesn't this talk of homework and papers in the summer make you all want to go back to school?  It really is awesome.

Tuesday night Mike headed to our house to spend the night.  It is always great to have a sibling in town but it was too short of a visit.  He was able to attend our Neighborhood fireworks put on by the Watson family.  They own a couple of firework stands and at the end of the season on the 26th they fire off all of their remaining fireworks.  He does an amazing job.  This year it lasted 1 1/2 hours. They were gorgeous and there were a few types I had never seen before.  Fun times!  There was a bonus feature this year as their oldest daughter is expecting their first grandchild so the first fireworks announced the sex of the baby--it's a girl!  Pink fireworks filled the air....about 20 minutes before the actual show began.  I think some family members were getting a bit anxious.  How fun it that!

Wednesday I spend the day doing UDSF stuff, mainly interview people for a very part time position we have opened up for 10 hours a day.  We had two excellent candidates so now we have to decide which skill set would be the best fit for us right now.  I wish we could hire them both.

I also bought the main fabric for our grandson who should be arriving in December.  I think robots are so cute.



Thursday we had two wedding receptions to attend and then again on Saturday another one.  We almost always give games so I stocked up last week to make it through to all of the reception. Thursday the receptions were for Sierra Dobson (Karla's granddaughter) and Erin Beckstrand (whose family we are very close to).  Luckily the timing worked perfectly.  Sierra's was in Bountiful from 5:30-7 and then Erin's was from 7:30-9 in Sandy.  It was warm for the outdoor receptions but not impossible and it became very pleasant at the Beckstrand's as the sun went down.  We have know Beckstrands for over 35 years and it was fun to see them and also other old friends we share in common that we haven't seen for years--Susan Cassell from Oquirrh Shadows Ward 39 and Kim Stucki who also lived in that same ward years ago but is also a friend of mine from Amarillo, Texas.  It was because Kim and her family were living at there that we decided to buy a house in their ward boundary when we moved to Salt Lake.  We never looked anywhere else.  When I think of our many dear friends from that time of our lives I am so grateful for that decision.  We have been so blessed with friends everywhere we have lived.

Friday we had another Pinewood Derby- this time at Chancellor Gardens, an assisted living center. This is actually the place where my brother-in-law Allan lives in the memory care unit.  I believe that it wasn't that connection that led to the invitation.  I think one of the workers had been to a Cub Scout Derby and then asked us to do it for them.  They had about 14 cars.  It was fun.

It was a nice activity to do on a very hot day.

Saturday Gary headed up to help Gary K. start the work on the neighborhood library.  Jena and I came up later when I got some yard work done and we hung out with Vonette and went swimming in their pool.

In between all of this, Ben is still at Davis Hospital.  He is getting very bored there and anxious to leave.  He is doing a bit better and is able to have conversations better.  I am still not happy about the medication choices by the doctor but it is hard to impact that much in the current situation.

A week in the life of these Halls---

I can't believe tomorrow is August 2016.  This time next year I will be 2 weeks away from being done with school.


No comments: