Sunday, March 29, 2015

Speaking of Sunday activities--

I usually use that day to write on this blog but that doesn't always work.  I was surprised that it had been a few weeks since I last wrote but time has really flown by--

March 8th I was recovering from the Sanitation Fun workshop in our ward which is why I wrote on Monday the 9th.  The following Sunday was Stake Conference which changes the schedule a bit and followed a very busy week.  Last Sunday I was in Austin, Texas, enjoying my brothers.  That means I have a lot to catch up on, but it won't all happen tonight.  I will give it a start.

Saturday the 7th was the end of Jena's Comet bowling season and we had a small tournament at the Rush.  It was a nice afternoon watching her have fun and doing well.

 
After the bowling tournament, I headed south to Provo and visited with my good friend, Eileen Bradford.  We have know each other since Hong Kong and I treasure her friendship.  She was in town helping her daughter with her first daughter, little Olivia Grace.  I stayed until about 12:30 and on the Saturday night "where we spring into daylight savings", it might not have been the wisest choice but fun nevertheless.  Friends are awesome!

Nice that bowling stopped because golf and play practices started up soon after.  Jena again is managing the golf team and having a great time with the girls and the coaches.  She likes making little treats for tournament times.  She had one of those unusual days when she went skiing in the early afternoon and then headed straight to the golf course to golf.  Beautiful weather in both places!  How many times and places do you get to do that in one day?


It probably would have been more effective to take
a picture of her skiing and then one of her golfing
but alas all I have is the back of the car with
wet ski clothes and golf clubs.

We got exciting news that week as well.  My brother, Mike's son, Kyle announced that he was going to be baptized into the Church on March 14th.  My brother Rick and his family were able to travel to Lubbock from Dallas and attend the baptism.  Rick was able to baptize him which was a special opportunity.  What a great blessing for our family!  We wished that we all could have been there, but traveling to Lubbock for a quick trip is pretty expensive especially if since I was heading for Texas already the following week (more about that later.

Rick, Kyle, and Mike
The 14th was a busy day already for us.  We had tickets to the play at the Hale Theatre and went and saw "Ghost" which was great.  I wasn't sure how they would do it in live theatre but it was excellent.  Jena and her friend, Meggan, came too and neither of them had seen the movie yet they liked it too.

We got home, changed clothes and headed down to Farmington Station to participate in a fund raiser "Root beer Floats" for Special Olympics.

We finished there and headed back home to change clothes again and head to the Stake Center for the Adult Meeting for Stake Conference--one of the best meetings in the Church.

Then we had our first Stake Conference at the rebuilt Tabernacle at the Ogden Temple grounds.  Gary and I both forgot our phones/cameras so no pictures. That was too bad.  We took pictures almost three years ago on our last Stake Conference there so it would have been fun to compare.  It was a beautiful day and people were enjoying the grounds and taking pictures everywhere.

Homework is more intense this semester and includes two major group projects which are a very different thing than years ago when I was a student.  We live spread out over three counties, most work full time jobs, and doing much of the work over internet is a challenge.  So far so good.  I was very lucky to have great group members in both of my classes.  One group project is on Minimum Wage and the other is Human Trafficking.  Very interesting!

We turned in our literature review (huge relief) on Tuesday and Wednesday I flew off to Texas.  Time for another post...on another day!

No comments: