Thursday, July 24, 2014

Syracuse South Stake Trek 2014--Journey to Christ-- Day One

Words can not express the feelings I have in regards to Jena's opportunity to attend Trek.  Scott, Ben, and Tosha all did trek as well during their high school years and they would have to speak for themselves about their experiences.  I served on the Stake committee when Ben and Tosha went on Trek in 2008 and really count it as one of the great highlights of my life, just be involved on the outskirts of things.  Again this year, Gary and I both were able to help on Friday afternoon and it allowed us a glimpse into Jena's experience and also a chance  to take a few pictures as well.  Facebook is filling up with pictures from other parents and adults who attended Trek so we were able to see more of it than when the other kids went.

Background:  Of course, Jena expects to be involved in everything and anything that the Young Women are involved in and I knew that Trek would be no different.  So typically, I started planning early on to figure out how this could possibly work for Jena.  She is a tough kid, but hiking and pushing handcarts for 20-26 miles over four days didn't seem doable.  She can walk for a long time on a flat surface but uneven and up and down is much more difficult for her.  We bough her shoes last summer and tried to have her wear them in by taking walks and a few little hikes over the past year.  Of course, we didn't do nearly as much of that as I had planned but at least I felt her shoes were worn in.  That was the easy part.

I spoke to the leaders of Trek who I didn't know and they didn't know Jena.  They assured me that this Trek would be doable for Jena, that they were not trekking as long or as difficult of a trail as in the past.  They would be sleeping in tents at night instead of on the ground, and that there would be plenty of food and rest time.  The trail boss also spoke to us about supports we thought Jena might need.  He is a good friend and has known Jena for several years as he has served in the High Council.  A few days before the Trek, I got a sweet email from him.  He promised that they had prepared many things to help make the Trek experience safe and good for Jena and that he knew that not only would she love it but that her presence would make a difference to everyone who came in contact with her.  With that comfort, we finished packing and headed out to the Church on Thursday, July 10 to drop her off with the 400 youth and 100 adults going to Trek.

Drop off pose
Since Jena was at Trek and we had to be there for Friday, Gary and I headed up to a campground called Monte Cristo which was about 16  miles further up the road from where they were having the Trek.  (Side note:  This was a big risk for me because Chantel's midwife had told her that the baby was coming anytime now as she continues to make progress towards delivery.  We spent 2 1/2 days without cell coverage.  Although it would have made a cute side story if Scarlett had arrived while we were gone, I was so relieved when we came down the mountain and there were no texts from Scott and Chantel.  Chantel texted me that she was now uncrossing her legs since we were back in town.  What a great daughter in law and Tosha also accommodated me by not having Niki either. Whew!)

Our camping spot was beautiful.  We were around 9000 feet high so it was nice and cool.  Wild flowers were everywhere and of course I was trying to take pictures of every single different variety.  Not sure what I am ever planning to do with all of those pictures, but I do like looking at them.



The trees were also gorgeous.

We took a walk around some paths in the Monte Cristo Campground and surprised a deer.  I only caught her in the photo as she bound away.  We saw several deer while we were up in that area.

 
 
Gary surprised me with a late birthday gift--my own walking stick complete with my WoodBadge patrol.  He had hid it in the RV and then had me open it just before our walk.  He has had his walking stick for several years and I had wanted one since I completed my Wood Badge.  However the craftsman who did them has been serving an LDS mission for a couple of years.  When he got back Gary ordered mine as a surprise for this trip.  Mine also has my name engaged in it.


Gary's Bobwhite and my Owl

The campground had very few guests and the quiet was awesome.  We did meet the Aaron and Amy Denney.  Aaron recognized Gary from Stake YMs a number of years ago.  They don't live in our stake any more but her sister is a friend of ours in another ward and her niece golfed with Jena on the CHS golf team.  Small world!

Our campground

Our own campfire
While we sat by the fire and made s'mores, we talked about other camping trips we had taken.  We realized that it has been over 32 years since we have been camping, just the two of us.  This was also the first trip the two of us have taken alone in the RV.  Gary wanted me to mention that (if I posted in the blog about the length of time since our last camping trip alone), we had done some amazing trips over the years as a couple both alone and with friends and family.  He wanted to make sure that our grandchildren and great grandchildren knew that we had lots of fun together over the years.  We have been so lucky to see so many amazing things in our lifetime.  The world is a beautiful and amazing place.

Right as we were finishing up our dessert, it started raining and by the time we got everything inside it was a serious downpour.  It was by far the loudest rain we have experienced in the RV and we worried about our 500 Trekers in tents down the hill.  We hoped Jena was warm and dry.  (And we found out that she was although she said there was a rock under her bed.  About 20% of the tents flooded however, so many people were wet and miserable their first night.)

End of day one for all of us!

No comments: