Thursday, July 24, 2014

She is here......

Jena asked me a couple of days ago: "What day was Friday?" "July 18th" "Don't forget to write that down because that is Scarlett's birth."  True and we won't forget, because:

 
SCARLETT FAY HALL
 
HAS ARRIVED!
(In my mom's journal, she would always write the new grandchild's name in big capital letters.  I am following the tradition.)
Picture I texted to my family--taken about 5 minutes after she was born
 
Chantel called us around 9 in the morning to tell us that she had been having contractions since about 1:00 a.m. and they were regular and increasing.  All good signs!  We were excited.  Except for Jena who was at Girls Camp this week--(yes, lots of camping for Jena in a 10 day period.).  I managed to not text them every hour for an update but was glad to get a text from Scott about 12:30 that they were heading up to the hospital.  (And actually they didn't quite leave then.  On their way out they discovered they were totally out of cat food so Chantel sent Scott to Wal-Mart to get some.  She said she regretted when she had to manage some "good contractions" without him, but fortunately he made it back and then they were able to leave for the hospital.)
 
About 2ish, they were checked into the hospital and I headed up to be part of the support team.  It was an amazing experience to be there with Scott and Chantel and Chantel's family (minus her dad who was flying home from Phoenix).  Chantel's friend served as the doula and kept all of us focused on our tasks to help Chantel get baby Scarlett here.  Chantel was able to deliver Scarlett naturally which she was thrilled about (but not sure if she would do it again.).  Their midwife was also excellent.  However Chantel was the star--working and breathing and doing everything she needed to do.  I have seen a number of babies born and it always is a great experience, no matter what way it is done.  Moms really give everything to get these tiny people here.
 
Scarlett was 7 lbs. and 19 1/2 inches long.  They stayed in the hospital until Saturday night and then headed home.  Since then I am mostly thinking of reasons to go see her.  Being a grandmother is great so far.  Scott and Chantel have been so great to share her with us and Chantel's family.  We all are hooked on her.
 
Scott with Chantel's brother Travis before the birth

Miss Scarlett being weighed

New daddy

I love this picture of the three of them

Sunset on Scarlett's first day.
Since Scarlett was born at 6:30 p.m., Chantel missed the dinner ordering by the time things had calmed down enough to figure out she was hungry.  Gary and I made the dinner run to Zuppa's.  I ordered a Cuban BBQ sandwich in honor of Scott, Chantel, and Scarlett (I did refrain from taking a picture of my empty sandwich carton which was labeled "Cuban".)
 
Jena got to meet Scarlett on Saturday at the hospital along with Jessica and Elessia:
 


I saw this paper months ago and just had
to get it for our arrival gifts for Scarlett and Niki.
I thought it was perfect although not really baby colors.

Jena and Scarlett

Jessica and Scarlett


 
This is a great learning experience for Jena and she is planning on being a great aunt to Scarlett and Niki.  Scott was trying to get Jena to say that Scarlett was the best baby in the world.  She finally told him that she loved Scarlett...and then added "and Niki."
I was able to see her everyday until Wednesday.  Chantel sent me this picture to me by text just as I was getting out of the temple in Ogden.  So exciting!

As a fun bonus, my niece and her husband also had their new son, Crew,  that morning so Grandma Hall had a great grandson and great granddaughter born on the same day. Melissa and Chris's baby was due the day after Tosha in August so it was a bit of a surprise but they are all doing well.

We all have been missing Tosha and Austen as we have been enjoying Scarlett.  Tosha sent me this cute picture.
 
Now the countdown begins for Niki's arrival in August! 
 
 

No comments: