Sunday, July 27, 2014

Old spot--new place!

Jena will be enjoying a once in a life time experience of being able to sing for the Cultural Celebration for the Rededication of the Ogden Temple.  As a family we will be able to attend the Open House in August along with some non-member neighbors who actually asked us if we would take them.  This will be the fifth open house I have attended:  (remodeled) St. George, Jordan River, Oquirrh Mountain, Brigham City, and now the new Ogden Temple.  I remember thinking when Gary and I attended the Jordan River Temple Open House and then the dedication, that it was a once in a life time event.  Little did I know how much the temple building would expand throughout the world.  Now I think someday there might even be a temple in Syracuse or somewhere "near by" in North Davis County.  Although I am really grateful to live 25 minutes from a temple to the south and soon again from a temple in the north.

On top of those "life time" experiences, I was privileged to add one to my life.  I along with others from our ward and stake got to help clean the Ogden Temple prior to the beginning of official Open House.  Our stake was the only one given the assignment to go clean.  We were asked on Sunday for 30 people from each ward over the course of 6 shifts.  I was able to go on Wednesday afternoon.  It was hard and demanding work as we crawled around cleaning marble moldings and climbed step ladders to clear high doors and door frames of dark wood.  Our group actually started as the Credenza crew as our first task was to move out each large credenza from the wall, clean the back, carpet, molding and walls and then put it back.  We did that on the second floor (notice how many there are if you are ever there) and in the basement.  During a break I had an opportunity to go up to the 3rd floor and seeing the Celestial room.  In its own unique way, it was stunning.  There are little touches throughout the temple which are slight reminders of the old Ogden Temple.  According to workers, there is one original mural which was rehung on the main level and two vases which were kept and placed in the Celestial room.  By some of the "art deco" style can be seen in small ways.  So excited to have our "own" temple back in a new and breath-taking version.

As I was there, in my jeans and sweating as I worked, I just counted myself so lucky to have this experience.  Throughout my life as I enter into the temple, there will be lamps I have touched, marble I have shined, and wood I polished.  I will always have those memories to fill my heart and mind in that holy place.  Thank you!

No comments: