Sunday, March 18, 2012

This and That

This is a catch-up blog of sorts for a couple of things I wanted to put in our blog but haven't made it in yet.
Jena with her top braces. 
The bottoms will be added in a couple of weeks.
 I have Sharing Time this month which is great because it is learning about the prophets and apostles and how following them can help us choose the right.  It was been fun teaching the kids about our current 1st Presidency and the 12 Apostles.  To show what a great husband I have, look what he made for me for one of the sharing times.  It is the "old Fashion" type project done with wires, light and a battery.  I didn't get a picture of it completely put together because I had to return the pictures to the Church library.  I had the 15 names of the current leadership along the one side and then all of their pictures (where the board is blank below).  Gary wired them together so when the kids clipped the alligator clip to the right name and picture the light would light up.  They had fun doing that and learning interesting facts about them along the way.  Did you know that Pres. Monson has raised prize winning birds and chickens and that Elder Boyd Packer is an artist and has had paintings and sculptures displayed?



Speaking of paintings, here is Jena's painting of Vincent Van Gogh's "Starry Night".  She had to do something related to European art so she choose painting and remembered learning about this painting in elementary school, so we print a copy off the Internet, got two canvases (one to practice on) and she painting away.  At one point, she told me that this was like an art class and she liked it.  She used acrylic paints with a medium that made it work a bit more like an oil paint.  After it was done, she and I decided we both wanted to paint something again, so maybe this summer we will both do a painting.  She loved how it turned out and she got 100% of the assignment for Geography.  I was quite proud of her.

 It seems like a very long time ago but for our Blue and Gold Banquet, as I mentioned before, we did a jungle theme.  We each had to be an animal and I wanted to show you ours---both elephants.  Mine is a remake of "Elmer" a children's book I love who wasn't like the other elephants.  Gary was the grey elephant with the scout neckerchief--because "he liked a certain girl elephant".  Funny boy!!!


In an effort to help Ben mentally and physically, we have had him evaluated by a naturopathic doctor in Salt Lake.  He has done a number of tests and suggested that Ben go off gluten containing grains (most of them), milk, and eggs.  Ben is allergic to most foods which he had been tested for in the past but there was no good way to avoid them all.  This doctor feels it is definitely worth a try to get off these things for three months.  He also told Ben that the first two or three weeks will be very difficult as his body will crave the food he can't have and he might experiences other difficulties as well.  He is almost through his second week.  It has been difficult and he is feeling not well, but he is doing a good job eating only things that he is suppose to have.  It is complicated to have Ben take medications for his mind that are so harmful to his body.  On top of all of this, he was evaluated by a psychiatrist at Davis Behavior Health and she feels Ben is under medicated and wants him to add and/or increase a number of different medications.  I am not sure his body or his mind could handle that.  I am not sure what we are going to do about her thoughts.  Right now we are trying to get through this change in his diet.  Any great recipes or eating tips for Ben would be greatly appreciated.
We attended our local Utah caucus meetings to elect our local delegates.  It was a long evening as we had over 125 people in attendance which was by far the most ever.  I attended one a number of years ago where there was less than 20 people for a bigger area.  It was good to be a part of the legal process.

We had a busy weekend:  Friday night the Primary Presidency was in charge of the Ward Cookie Social--fun times; Saturday morning we cleaned the Church, Saturday afternoon we volunteer at a Winter Carnival at Snowbasin for Adaptive Ski program and in the evening Gary and I went to an Scout Awards Banquet where Gary presented an award to one of the great Scouter man in our ward who got an regional award of merit.  In between all of that, Gary fit in a number of hours of work.  I am not sure how he does it.  Busy man.

I spend several hours at work, writing my last reports for LDS Family Services.  It was fun to be in the office a bit and catch up with my close friends there.  I miss seeing them weekly.  However I am not sure how I fit working 20+ hours a week in.  I think it was the right time to quit and move on with other events in my life.  I have one more report, two adoption finalizations and a day or so of file reviews and then I will be done.  Moving from one phase of life to another..........

No comments: