Wednesday, March 14, 2012

And now to go west to get East!

Saturday morning we arrived in Honolulu port.  We headed to the airport where Gary and his mom rented a car to drive around island including spending some time in the rain at the Polynesian Cultural Center.  Their flight was a direct red eye to Salt Lake that didn't leave until very late that night.  I left at noon to fly to Tokyo and then off to Hong Kong.  After about 16 hours, I arrived in Hong Kong at about 9:30 p.m. on Sunday night.

The purpose of the visit (as if one needs a reason of any kind to go to Hong Kong) was to meet up with some dear friends to celebrate our @22 years of friendship.  We were all young moms back then just building our families.  We spent fun times together then including playing games (big surprise), parties (another surprise), vacations (ditto), and lots of conversations.....................things don't change much for me over all those years......................Over the years since then all but one of us have left Hong Kong and moved to a variety of places.  Two of them are now back in Hong Kong, another in Japan, so we decided it was a good time to gather together.  We have kept in contact over the years through a variety of means.  Some of us have seen each other over that time, others not.

Kathy, me, Eileen, Laurie, Sandy
Katie was at work but joined us on Tuesday.

It was another magical time. For two days we mostly sat and talked about ourselves, life, Church, and everything else we could think of.  Despite what our husbands might think we have plenty more to say to each other, there was already some talk of a vacation together in the next ten years or so.  All the mushy quotes about friendships are really true when you can be so filled by simply being together and talking.  Thanks to Gary and the other great husbands that made it possible for all of us.

People headed off home or to other vacations so I had two days alone to get my "fill" of Hong Kong.  It is weird how a place can be so connected and meaningful to me.  I actually love everywhere I have ever lived and like going back and visiting, but Hong Kong is unique.  It is the China of my childhood dreams to live in China.  It is a beautiful city with amazing things around every corner and down each street.  It has changed but is still much the same.  I walked for hours and took hundreds of pictures.  I rode the ferry, subways, buses, and taxis.  I was able to walk some of my favorite hikes, around the Peak and also along the boardwalk from Ocean Park to Repulse Bay (check a map if you really want to know).
The World Famous Star Ferry--one of my favorite ways to travel
View of Hong Kong Island form Kowloon-
foggy and slightly rainy afternoon






Third one up was our first "real" home
in Hong Kong in 1987.

Buses and taxis--the bulk of Hong Kong traffic



The temple was built on the location of the old mission home
and chapel which were here when Gary served his mission and
when we lived in Hong Kong.  I mailed letters to him
at this address at Cornwall Street during his mission.
The highlight was being able to attend a session at the Hong Kong Temple on Thursday morning.  I was there at the fireside when President Hinckley promised the Saints in 1987 that they would be blessed with a temple if they remained in Hong Kong and stayed strong in the gospel.  That promise was fulfilled when the temple opened in 1996 one year before the Chinese government regained control of the territory.  The temple is even located on the subway map at the nearby MTR(subway) station.

 The picture above and two below this are from my hike around the Peak.  It is one of the highest points on the Island and is often covered in clouds as it was this day.  They call this (according to a sign--we didn't call it this when we lived here) a Fairy garden walk because of the green and clouds.  There is something green growing anywhere there was not cement.  No beautiful views of the harbor on this walk.

Often you can see all of the buildings of Central, the harbour and the Kowloon side for this vantage point but not this time.

My boardwalk walk on Friday morning which covered some of the south side of the island

I used to walk this every morning.
This is the South China Sea


Laundry day on this boat

Temple located on the beach of Repulse Bay
I spent some time walking in the water at this beach.
We spent a lot of time at beaches in Hong Kong--
they kept the beaches cleaned and swept--not kidding
However the water was not a pleasant as often times there
would be garbage and sometimes garbage bags full of
garbage in the water.
The kids swam but us not as much.


And, yes, there are McDonald's in Hong Kong--although the Chinese and Indian food I had was amazing.

Friday through Sunday I spent at the Hillam's boat at the Gold Coast in the New Territories section of Hong Kong.  We had great food and conversation as well as a nice hike in the nearby mountains--a place I had never been before in Hong Kong--very nice.

The Hillams
Their son, Michael, is currently serving a mission
in Hong Kong at the Area Offices.
This was taken in their boat home.
It was great.

Sunday I packed up and headed back home--I was glad to get home.  18 days was a long time to be gone and I missed everyone.  Things were great at home and Ben had done a great job getting the house cleaned before I got home.  I am not sure if I will ever be back there again.  Hard to know.  There is much life ahead and lots of places to see and things to do.  However, if this is my last trip, it was perfect.  Thanks to all you sweet friends until we meet again.

No comments: