Sunday, January 3, 2021

Goodbye, 2020!

I saw this meme on Facebook a few months ago in the middle of all of the posts about people's excitement about 2020 being over and starting a new year...as if Covid-19, the health and economic effects of the pandemic, the political craziness, the racism, poverty, people being mean to each other--was all going to magically be over with with the turn of the calendar.

 
2020 has been an unusual year, of course--both in the world and in our own home.  But the reality is that we did make it through, we accomplished things, we made memories, and did home repairs.  We started the "check-off" of one of my most long standing goals--to serve a mission with Gary.  We are doing it from home and without some of the usual things I expected, but it is still a great experience.  

Human beings have had to deal with pandemics for as long as they have been on this earth.  They struggled through with less than we have been blessed with.  And we individually and as a world wide group will continue to deal with hard things.  We are approaching the wind up part of the earth and are actively preparing for the Second Coming of Christ.  Whether you are a believer or not, the world has some tough spots ahead, so fasten your seat beat and get ready for the ride.

A slight trip down memory lane for a moment.  Remember in the fall of 2018 when I felt that I needed to "Up my game" in a spiritual sense because I needed to be prepared for 2019?  I started the year sure that something "terrible" was going to happen.  I made some changes which I wrote about and made it through the year--with its ups and downs--and I was looking forward to 2020.  And then we had a year that will go down in history-- the "2020"!  And it was okay.  Looking over my life there have been hard years and years that were harder--and what I thought was hard in 1980 or 1990 seem easier looking from this point of view.  More than anything, I think I am confident that whatever happens in 2021--whether it is a more difficult year than 2020 or not.  We will be okay because the same things that helped us manage hard years before will still be there for us in 2021--prayer, faith, each other, our testimonies, and our ability to serve.

However, I will really be glad when I can meet and greet my family and friends without the concerns and risks that we worry about now....and for my grandkids to be able to go to school every day with their friends and teachers.

So, goodbye 2020! Farewell!  Don't let the door hit you on the way out!



No comments: