Sunday, January 3, 2021

Devotional Struggles

You know how it is--you are asked to give a presentation--in this case, a devotional for the Collections Zone--it seems apparent that you should do something about setting goals or being a better disciple of Christ or developing Christ-like attributes.  It is, after all, the last devotional of 2020!

So I set to work, putting it together, and while I had lots of ideas and plenty of material in Conference talks, Preach My Gospel, and the scriptures plus examples from my life, it just wasn't working.

So I thought maybe if I start putting the PowerPoint together with the relevant points it would help me see that I need to pull it together.......... 





All good stuff---but it still didn't feel right.  Monday night, I asked Gary to give me a topic.  He respectfully declined saying that devotional speakers "get" to pick their own topic.  I dreamed about a devotional "flop" all night long.  By Tuesday morning, I realized that I must have the wrong topic and spent the day puzzling about that.  Early evening, I sat down with my Book of Mormon- Journal addition and began reading comments that I had written in the margins over the past year.  Finally a small feeling gathered around the word "remembering" and then FINALLY devotional came together--without a PowerPoint or inspirational memes.

I copied it into the next post for those of you who might be interested in "Remember and Record."

No comments: