Sunday, March 15, 2020

Mammograms.....

Not the most favorite topics of women the world over but a necessary process and certainly life-saving for millions!  It is always good when it is done and things are okay--but sometimes it is a bit more of a process.

Our family doctor was not certain that I would need to do the mammogram as part of the mission physical, because on the actual medical form it seemed open to the doctor's opinion.  I have not been getting mammograms every year, but more in the every 3 years or so.  We don't have a history of breast cancer in my family and it is easy to let something like that slide.  I had usually gotten them around my birthday and when I did my physical in January, my doctor was fine with that.  However, as the health form was put on the computer, someone from the stake suggested that I do it sooner so I made an appointment for March 5th.  With the date in the computer, they were able to submit our completed paperwork.  Great!

Went and did the mammogram at Ogden Clinic which was such a smooth and easy process compared to places I had gone in the past.  I was happy to have it done and over with......

until the following Tuesday when I got that phone call none of us like:  "Mrs. Hall, can you come back for a diagnostic mammogram of your left breast and an breast ultrasound."  At the time, I was home sick with a bad cold and laryngitis.  So I opted for an appointment in two days to avoid passing my cold germs around.  But being in limbo is never a good place to be with this type of thing.  However, with my recent commitment to living in the present moment more, after making the usual review on the internet for reasons for an ultrasound of the breast, I really was able to not get too crazy with options and bad outcomes.  Thursday, I headed in, had the tests, and before I left, the radiologist came in and review the results with me.  I have two small cysts--one clearly a benign type, the other very very likely to be benign-and they just want to redo the mammogram in 6 months.  I asked about serving a mission in the fall and he said, no worries, just schedule the mammogram before you leave.  So glad that I did the mammogram now so that we have six months before we need to retest and that will still be the month prior to our availability date of October 1. 

I am SO glad that we started our paperwork in January, but set the date for October 1st.  It continues to seem to be the right combination for us.

(However, it is not fun to have breast cancer ads showing up on Facebook whenever I get on.  The joys of making internet searches!)

No comments: