Sunday, March 22, 2020

IT HAS BEEN A WEEK!

I don't have much profound to say about this week other than that "It has been a week."  And I have no pictures currently to document it as I left my phone at the Harrisville Church Cannery and they are not open again until Tuesday.

The week went like this:

Monday and Tuesday:  TELETHERAPY These two days were spent mostly on the computer and the phone as our office of Family Services all went remote for the next unspecified length of time "in the abundance of caution."  I ended up doing sessions on the phone as the bugs were being figured out in our teletherapy programs.  Some of my clients are going to hold off until in office appointments can resume but I will still have 20 or so clients to work with by computer.

Wednesday: 7:09 am-- EARTHQUAKE I was still in bed but had been awake for a few minutes when the Utah Magna earthquake rumbled through.  It was a 5.7 which is the biggest one that I had ever been in.  Jessica and her family lived just 3 miles south of the epicenter and felt aftershocks throughout the day and into the next day.  Over 90 at least had been counted.  So in addition to the virus news, we got earthquake news as well, especially on that day.  No damage here.  Jessica's house had some things fall down off shelves.  It led to a variety of funny memes on Facebook-- "Utah likes their corona 19- shaken not stirred." and a fun chart about the opposing directions between the virus (social isolate in your house) and earthquake (leave your house, check on neighbors).  It was nice to have texting and email to quickly check in with family and notify family away from us that we were good before they heard it on the news.  I appreciate family and friends who checked on us.

We made chocolate chip cookies and left them on the porches of some of our neighbors in honor of "Earthquake Day."---sometimes you just need warm chocolate chip cookies.

Thursday:  LARNYGITIS Gone--  This was the first day that I felt my voice was back to normal and no lingering soreness or coughing was left.  Finally!--I have already been home for over two weeks (except for a trip for my diagnostic mammogram the week before).  Of course, now we are home for another reason.

Friday:  CANNERY--  Friday afternoon, Gary and I and his sister, Vonette, and some other great people from our stake showed up at the cannery in Harrisville to serve as the cleaning crew for the week.  We all tried to maintain social distance from each other as we finished up the run of beef stew and then helped clean the cannery for the week.  I often leave the cannery with an appreciation for my college degree and options plus gratitude to the millions of people who labor physically and mentally in factories throughout the world to help feed us and provide the many material things of life that we use.  This time, my overwhelming feeling was thankfulness that the Church is continuing to work to provide food for the storehouses of the Church.  Much of the Church's business has gone remotely, but this important task is being continued for the time being so that we can help feed our brothers and sisters in the difficult times ahead. It was a honor and privilege to work there yesterday.

(Unfortunately, I left my phone on the desk when I checked out and didn't notice it until I was almost home.  As mentioned it doesn't open again until Tuesday so I have been phoneless.)

Talked to the medical desk of the mission department as she confirmed things were moving along--whatever that means.  Almost all missionaries out of country are being returned to their home countries as travel allows it to happen.  Although the official word is still that calls will be continued to be made worldwide, people needed to be prepared to be adjustable in the changing times.

I made my first venture to the real world on the way to the cannery,  stopping off at Lowes to get paint for our basement bedrooms which we are slowly working on.  Social distance was happening throughout the store, but there were other people there stocking up for home projects as well.  If you are going to be home, nice to maybe get some things done.

Saturday:  AGING--it took a few weeks until I actually thought that I was in the demographics of higher risks, being over 60 years old.  A 4-hour shift of being on my feet and checking cans and cleaning is proof that I am not as young as I used to be.  Both Gary and I were feeling it yesterday and had a very low key day, doing just what had to be done for the day.  We are definitely missing March Madness as we are college basketball fans, and especially miss watching our great BYU basketball team this year.  Oh, well, those are minor things in the scheme of life.

And now it is Sunday.  A day to rest, to reflect, to count our blessings.  We are so blessed in this tricky time to have the "long view" as well as the immediate view in mind.

And while, it is crazy to be waiting for a mission call in this changing time--there have been plenty of distractions to keep our minds off of it.

1 comment:

Gemie said...

You are in our thoughts and prayers as you prepare for your mission. What chaotic times we have been thrust into!