Tuesday, September 10, 2019

New Job

As I was leaving The Children's Center, I knew that I would want to work part-time after the summer fun and our Europe trip, but I really had not intended to pursue employment until we got back from our trip.  I had enough things going on this summer and wanted to do some house and yard projects as well so although people gave me ideas and contacts, I was pretty much set on not looking for a job until the fall...............

until the moment I felt compelled to reach out to my old boss at LDS Family Services in April and just see if there was a possibility of an opportunity to work part-time there.  Years ago, I knew that they had lots of part-time therapists but lots of things had changed and I did not know the current status of things.  Like things in life, sometimes you just do rather than think it through and that is how that text was.  I rarely looked at my phone at work, much less text about another job, but that Tuesday I reached  out to James and he responded that he would love to talk to me about the possibilities. We met a couple of weeks later for an informal meeting and we left it as "Well, my experience doesn't totally match with their needs but if there is an opening in the fall, maybe we could talk again."

The mid-May I got a text from James:  "I know that you were looking for a job in the fall, but I have an opening now.  Could you apply?".................

Text exchange between Gary and I back in May after James asked me to apply for his open position:

"Me:  James is asking me if I would like to start sooner than the fall....I haven't even decided yet if I want to do it although I have been having some strange pull towards it...dreams are weird things.  Thoughts?

Gary:  This is the opportunity up in Layton, yes?

Me:  Yes

Gary:  I love your wording.  "Some strange pull".  I've always felt you've been guided in ways best for you and those around you--even when the end result is not what we would have expected at times.  I vote get a little info on when and how much need they have.

Me:  The last two nights I have dreamed about working there and this morning when I woke up I thought that is weird just like last time before Dennis called me...and then a text from James.

Gary:  So how much additional nudging do you need?  I realize this is not what you planned, but the bigger picture evidently needs you.

Me:  I love you!  I already wrote to James for more information and indicated that I would try to make it work.  The Lord's time is precise in my experience.  That is what it feel like right now.  Even me reaching out to James was much earlier than planned but it was a strong prompting as well."

.... and through the whole process with vacations and paperwork and background checks, etc...I actually see my first clients tomorrow right before I leave for two weeks on our vacation and then it is October.  James would apologize for things taking a long time and I would say, "I don't want to start until October."  So overall it worked out for me.

And there you have it---how I came to be a part-time therapist at LDS Family Services in Layton.  I will typically work Tuesdays and Wednesdays from 1-9 pm and it is about 10 minutes from my house which is also nice.  It would be a change from kids and parenting to teens and adults and working with Bishops but I look forward to new challenges and learning new skills as a therapist and helping people in their journey on this earth.  And then we will see what I like to do as a therapist and where I can best use my skills and person.  (64 years old and still trying to figure out what to do when I grow up.)

No comments: