Sunday, April 29, 2018

My mother.....

helped me yesterday.  I got home around noon and got right to work, cleaning my house.  Although some major cleaning had been done as we moved furniture back onto the wood floors, the rest of the house has been ignored except for the basics of laundry and vacuuming.  Even though no one else sees it, I was a bit embarrassed, finding some dirty walls and dusty cobwebs around.  And then I remembered my mother.  She told me once (when she would have been in her fifties) that she was surprised to find cobwebs behind her countertop microwave. She said, "I never thought of myself as much of a housekeeper, but when you all were little (I am the oldest of eight), I don't think I had cobwebs on my kitchen counter.  I hope I am doing more important things."

My mom was always doing the more important things.  She was amazing.  I could go on and on about her.

But yesterday, I remembered and I wasn't embarrassed about my cobwebs and dirty walls.  It didn't matter, the world had not ended, and even my neighbors didn't know.  I know that I don't always use my time the most wisely and this was a month of sickness for me as well, but I have done some of the important things--been with family, read some good books, prepared some Primary lessons, helped some parents and children enjoy each other just a bit better, and even occasionally cooked dinner for Gary and Jena.  Far from perfect, but more important than cobwebs and some dirty walls.

Once thinking about my mom, I spent my afternoon cleaning my house, listening to Pandora on my TV, and some of my memories of my mom.  It was a great way to spend a Saturday afternoon---hopefully it will last until the next time I have a free afternoon.

Thank you, Mom.  I needed that reminder.

My mom and dad at our last family reunion before she passed away in 1995.


No comments: