Sunday, July 2, 2017

Pote Ruts Mormon Trail Park

 I figured since this was an actual park, we might be able to find it without too much difficulty.

As we entered the park, we saw this deer in a nearby meadow.  We saw some many deer and antelope as we traveled.  I don't think I have ever seen so many during the daylight hours and many so close to the roads.  Of course we were traveling on the less traveled roads......
And we did find this sign overlookng a meadow.......so the pioneers crossed along here some where......Good to know!!!


Using one of our phamplet's directions, we wander through the park and found this location marked by this blue sign almost hidden in the plants.
Across the small road was this area with an older sign.  It is hard to see in the picture but supposedly the dip in the ground was made by the years of wagons going across this area.  These are called the Pote Ruts.
Just down the road there was the pretty bridge, so of course, I walked across it.  I asked Gary what I should do if a car was coming, he reminded me that all I had to do was "Run".  (Inside joke from another bridge adventure in Oregon.)

Standing on that bridge, I realized that what was a simple pleasurable walk for me meant another river crossing for the Saints.  ALthough there were some days the cool water felt good for a moment, many days that spring were cold and wet already for rain.  And I have never been a fan of walking in wet clothes and wet shoes.  Imagine the pioneers wading through this stream with all of their possessions and then continuing to walk in wet everything until they could dry off again.



As I mentioned we often would stop for the historical markers along the road.  Here is one that talks about the bridge building of the Mormon Pioneers.  They averaged building one bridge per day in such a manner to not only help their company travel through but to allow those behind them to also be able to use it in the years to come.  The odd thing about this sign was that it was in the middle of a little town without a river or stream in sight.  I am not sure why this location was chosen for this particular sign.
A view of the setting sun from the "Bridge Building" marker.
 Some of the details on the marker......




As darkness fell, we were on the road heading into Council Bluffs to find a place for the night.

No comments: