Sunday, July 16, 2017

Bucket list Item

Checked off---well, almost--the item was to ride the Rail Trail in Park City on a bike.  My original intent was to ride the whole 25 miles that Gary would take the Scouts on but I only wrote "Bike the Rail Trail." and on Saturday, July 8th I did that. That might count to cross that item off. We will see if I get back to ride the whole thing.  Thanks to Mike and Andi who like to ride bikes--it was because of them that I even thought about bringing our bikes and trying the trail.  I have not ridden a bike in three years since I started graduate school and I wasn't sure how far I could go, but I was willing to try it. So the plan was made.

And it was perfect.

Mike and Andi at the starting point

This rail trail was made from an old train track bed.  When it was no longer needed, someone thought of the idea of making a trail for hikers and bikers.  It weaves down the mountain from Park City down to the East Reservoir.  We started at the Promontory Trailhead which was just north of I-80 off of Hwy-40.
Gary said that I averaged about 17 pictures per mile as I would often stop to take photos along the way.  The weather was great for a morning ride.  Mike and Andi went ahead of us and enjoyed their own bike ride and we came up about 15 minutes behind them.
That is I-80 ahead.
We traveled under the freeway a couple of times on the trip.

No words needed......Gary is always fun to be with!!!


Proof I was actually on the trail--on a bike.






 June is a great time for this bike ride as there are lots of blooming wildflowers along the trail.
 Under a side road....
The trail was mostly downhill so it didn't require much peddling.  The only tricky part was some areas of rocks which made it a bit more difficult to ride for a few moments here and there.



 And I always like crossing bridges....
especially ones that travel over streams and rivers.
The rail trail had its own signs but as you can see, they were a bit smaller than standard stop signs.  I surprised that people don't take them.
Wouldn't you want to ride a bike along an area like this?

Image may contain: 2 people, people smiling, hat and outdoor
Mike and Andrea took this picture while they were waiting for us.
They had originally planned to bike to Coalville but riding Ben's bike with
city street tires and not any padding on the seat was not
the most comfortable ride for Andi so they finished in Wanship with us.
As we were finishing up, Andi commented that she didn't think they had ever spent time alone as couples with any of Mike's siblings.  It is true.  All our reunions have included the many grandchildren and now great grandchildren.  I think I have been out to dinner without kids with some of my siblings but to spend 2 days having fun without kids was a sweet blessing.  Now I want to do it with all of my siblings--who wants to come to Park City with us next year????  And Mike and Andi, we would love to do it again next year.


After the bike ride, we headed home and got to enjoy some extra time with Jessica, Elessia and the boys along with Mike and Andi.
Signs of a grandchild in the house
Life is truly full for us and we are so blessed to live the life we live.  Thanks Mike and Andi, we loved it and being with you.

No comments: