Sunday, September 11, 2016

Happy Labor Day and a lot more laboring....

Labor Day we are glad we stayed home and worked in the yard instead of trying to compete with the masses in the National and State Parks.  Actually Gary didn't stay home in the morning--he picked up Allan for lunch and a bowling outing.  However the Rush was packed with families and kids so Allan decided it was too loud for him.  They headed back to the Memory Care unit where he lives and watch an old James Bond movie.

That evening, we headed to Salt Lake to watch "Beauty and the Beast".  Now I have to admitted that I wasn't super excited to see it.  In addition to having Tosha and Jena watch the Disney movie too many times to count, we have seen it as a stage production several times over the past 20 years.  Also, Jena performed in this production in one of her theatre classes and also in a "Friend to Friend" production just a few years ago.  That means I heard the songs A LOT!  I like the play and the music but it seems like it has been a bit overdone.

We had great seats just three rows up from the stage (Hale theatre is a theatre in the round) and we settled in.  Just before the show, I glanced at Jena and she had the biggest smile on her face as she was anticipating the show to begin.  It made me smile and glad to be there with her enjoying this moment....and then the show began and the music, the costumes and sets, actors and actresses, and the story engaged me once again in the story "as ageless as time, Beauty and the Beast".  It was great and fun.  During the scene of "Be Our Guest" they shot off large confetti guns and we got covered with gold and yellow confetti.
Jena with yellow string confetti on her hair and
a gold piece stuck on her shirt
I know this picture is dark but here you see the ground after we brushed our clothes and hair of most of the confetti.  You can see Jena's bright pink shoes in the middle.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday we "labored" a lot.  I had training almost all week except for Thursday where I was able to move somewhat into my office and read reports of my clients I am picking up.  Jena was busy with her mission and school. plus her evening activities.  Gary was laboring mostly on family history work and has done some great stuff getting families put together throughout his family line.  He is finding out that he has some "interesting" stories in his family. He also spent extra time with Allan, doing some major shopping with him on Friday and taking him bowling on Wednesday night.

In-between all of that I did make a trip down to see Ben.  He is still very quiet and disorganized.  I am trying to be patient and allow the doctor and staff to get to know him but I am struggling with that. They had decided only Gary and I could visit Ben--not Jena--after three different email exchanges they decided that the three of us could visit Ben together again.  That is what we were planning to do this morning but as they have decided that Ben is a flight risk, he has to have an observer in the hall and they were too short staffed to man that--so no visit! Remind me that patience is truly a virtue.

The other BIG period of labor this week took place yesterday as UDSF had their annual Statewide Buddy Walk..................it deserves its own blog post!

Hope your Labor Day weekend was awesome and that you enjoyed all of the rest of your labors as well.

No comments: